Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Do all blowers throw the same distance?

Is there a way to find out how far a blower can throw snow. I once had a kubota on a GF1800 lawnmower that threw it 30'. My JD front mount 359 on my 4410 isn't even close. Now as I shop for a rear blower I want one that will throw it a decent distance. Does a 4 blade throw further then a 3 blade inpeller? I realize snow conditions will change but is there a spec I should be looking for to ensure good throwing distance.

Tractor
    MF GC2410TLB

Default Re: Do all blowers throw the same distance?

My MF 2360 front mounted snowblower will throw the snow about 30-40 feet when I run the RPMs above 2000, . Just guessing on the distance, but my neighbors are impressed how far it throws the snow, . Maybe if you can name a few models that you are considering, more will add their comment, . KC
    2009 MF GC2410TLB; Sims Cab; MF 2360 Snow Blower; MF 2340 Dozer Blade; Woods HC54 rotary rear cutter. Frontier 48" BB. KC

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Quote Originally Posted by Steuny View Post
    Is there a way to find out how far a blower can throw snow. I once had a kubota on a GF1800 lawnmower that threw it 30'. My JD front mount 359 on my 4410 isn't even close. Now as I shop for a rear blower I want one that will throw it a decent distance. Does a 4 blade throw further then a 3 blade inpeller? I realize snow conditions will change but is there a spec I should be looking for to ensure good throwing distance.
    Typically a four blade will be better than a three blade since in theory there is 25% less snow on each paddle the volume is more constant which lends to distance.

Another variable is diameter of blower fan and RPM. Most 3PH models the fan is direct drive from the PTO so a 20" fan has less tip speed than a 24".

Leonz (spelling) will hopefully chime in soon since he has a wealth of knowledge.

Roy
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Elite Member

In a word NO. each machine and each blower setup will vary. I have even ran like machines that didn't throw the same. The as you mentioned snow type is a big factor.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Like oldnslo says......the blower with the larger diameter impeller, and the one with more blades are known to thow farther. With that being said, I have yet to hear alot of complaints about any particular brand. I'm on my third blower myself (one BWM and two RAD/kubota), and have been very happy with the performance of each. There are really alot of other variables which factor into the distance the snow is thrown. How wet / heavy the snow is , speed at which you travel , etc. Perhaps you could narrow your search to a few different brands and see what kind of reviews those brands have gotten from members here that have experience with them.

Bronze Member

As I said my JD359 front mount is very disappointing compared to the kubota I had. I am now running a 8' Curtis on my FEL but miss the blower when the sides of the road get higher. Anyone out there that feels his 3PH blower is really good at throwing please comment as I have not yet started looking for any particular brand. I do realize that front mounts usually turn faster but the gearing in a rear 540 RPM should give you the same results.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.

I have an older Allied - Farm King 73" TPH blower that does quite well. When I first started using it I ran it with the 540 RPM PTO speed and it did not throw snow much more than 15ft or so. I checked and found the impeller tip clearance to be excessive at 5/8" clearance (24" 3 blade impeller).
    I tried using the 720 RPM instead of the 540 RPM - boy what a difference. The snow blower now shoots snow up to 40 ft - depending on the snow type. Keeping the engine revs up to the PTO range makes a big difference as well - needed for the torque. Tractor size does make a difference as the hp available at the PTO is important.

There are several variables and I doubt that there will be an obvious standard to which all snowblowers are made. I suspect that 30 ft would be a reasonable and doable performance guide. I did contact Farm King re a new impeller for my machine but the parts are no longer available (1989 manufacture). I was told that the impeller clearance on the newer machines is around 1/4" when new - the closer clearer giving better performance.

I will one day, pull the impeller off of mine and either add more metal to the blades to reduce clearance to 1/4" or install adjustable/renewable blade tips. In all other respects the blower is still in good shape - so repairing present one is worth doing.

Go with any of the major snowblower manufacturers and you should do fine and use the biggest one you can afford or have hp for (tractor size) - you won't regret it. Four blade paddle would be more efficient for sure and also affects overall performance.

Leonz should be able to give you more information as he seems to be very knowledgeable on these.

Jim
    2007 Jinma 554 tractor, FEL, 8ft Rear Blade, 73" Snowblower, 2002 3500 Dodge Ram 4x4, 1986 F250 4x4 SC 6.9 turboed diesel.

Bronze Member

I don't think I can adjust my rpm from 540 RPM. Is it not standard on all tractors and not adjustable unless you speed the tractor up and then I don't think it gets that high.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's

I loved my kubota BX23 with front blower, threw the snow futher then my 10 horse walk behind. Had a Lonenz (spell?) 72" behind my ole Oliver Super 55 , duel paddel augers and 24" fan, that was a great blower. But---- The front mounter Kubota blowers threw snow the futhest for me in upstate N.Y.
    DevilDog

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

the quick answer no.

if you watch a lot of snow blower vids on youtube (like i have) youll start to see a pattern between the ones that really throw and others that just kinda spit the snow out the shoot.

based on what i see (and more importantly HEAR), its purely a function of the blower speed (and possible the fan to shroud clearance but mostly blower rpm)
    Last edited by schmism; 01-20-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast