Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!!

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #2  
I was thinking since a lot of folks appreciated this on the Kubota form I would post it here since its more applicable under the snow removal forum.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...194021-snow-plowing-gravel-drive-problem.html

~jim

Not trying to be critical of your idea as it works okay, but I used a double thickness of the exact same thing as a bottom edge for my Frontier 1072 rear blade for a few years, it's easy to cut and drill but wears very poorly because the rubber is so soft. Earlier this year I found a complete round truck tire cap along the roadside, it was a b---- to cut using a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade and an even bigger b---- to drill thru because of the tiny brass wires but once on, it's as stiff as metal. It also takes much longer bolts than the OEM wear bar used to fasten on, but I only have to do this once. The cap is about an inch and a half thick, odds are it will outlast me.

Attachments

• Blackberry pics 2010 235.jpg
    Blackberry pics 2010 235.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 2,343
   / Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #3  
jim
Let us know how it works in the spring and in the early winter when the real problems happen with snow plowing gravel driveways. I never had a problem with the gravel drive unless it wasn't frozen in. When frozen, just the steel edge did me very well.

From the linked thread, you have just started using your "new" idea and we can only wonder if the "problem" is really solved.
Not to diminish your hard work getting the new edge fabricated and the great set of pics showing how you did the fab job one bit.

I'm still testing my wing plow. Like you, so far so good.
Only takes about 5 minutes to mount and dismount, with the only down side is that the snow is winged back in just another 5-10 minutes. So much fun, I'd like more drive to wing. :D

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!!
Hey guys,

Totally agree this stall mat idea is new to me and I am sure I will have many lessons learned from it as I use it more. One of the things that I actually like is the softness or should I say - "give" - of the material. Since I am plowing what essentially is pea gravel I want the plow to kind of roll over the gravel with a layer of snow - As you see I had some real issues with the pipe idea and so far found this clearly is much more forgiving, it does not effect the gravel and make a nice clean path.

JD - I like your truck tire cap idea but it would be too stiff for my liking - then again I am sure if I mount it with enough overhand it would give. As far as wear - yep the tire should outlast the mat by a couple of hundred years :)

I will re-post when I get more time with it. Today we had 8 inches and again I am smiling - come spring it may in fact be a different story.

More to come.

Best,

~jim

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #5  
For the past few years I have been using my lanscape rake to plow my gravel drive with. It brings rock to the surface for traction and speeds the melting process when the sun hits it.

Solo

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #6  
For me here in the northeastern corner of Maryland one of the nicest things about the 'stall mat edge' on my rear blade is that it is very easy on the lawn. You can pretty much push snow off the pavement onto the lawn as far back as needed to control drifting without doing severe damage. I plowed enough years with a front blade with skid shoes to know that until the ground is truly frozen, shoes will leave a mark. That was not too much of a problem when I lived in upstate NY, but most years here in MD can present a problem. The rubber edge just slides over the grass!

Thanks again to whoever it was on this forum who put the original idea in my head!

Frank

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #7  
I have never understood why the companies that made rear blades, etc. do not install any type of welded on mounts so the buyer could easily fasten on their own skid shoes and/or guide wheels. My Honda Foreman 450 has a Moose County plow that cost less for the plow itself than my Frontier RB did, yet they installed HD mounts and skid shoes on the ATV plow. Penny pinching to leave them off. IMO.

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #8  
Not trying to be critical of your idea as it works okay, but I used a double thickness of the exact same thing as a bottom edge for my Frontier 1072 rear blade for a few years, it's easy to cut and drill but wears very poorly because the rubber is so soft. Earlier this year I found a complete round truck tire cap along the roadside, it was a b---- to cut using a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade and an even bigger b---- to drill thru because of the tiny brass wires but once on, it's as stiff as metal. It also takes much longer bolts than the OEM wear bar used to fasten on, but I only have to do this once. The cap is about an inch and a half thick, odds are it will outlast me.

I made this for my back blade back in 1989 and use it all winter here in Western MT. It's made from a 2 inch sched 40 pipe and a 3/8" x 6" steel plate both the the width of the blade in length. I split the pipe lengthwise, put the plate into the pipe (you can't see that because of the snow in the pipe) and welded it full length. I drilled holes to match the blade. In the summer I put the grader blade on and when the snow flies I switch to the "snow edge". The large radius of the pipe doesn't move gravel around but it moves the snow. It's still going strong after 22 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 2,070
   / Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #9  
I made this for my back blade back in 1989 and use it all winter here in Western MT. It's made from a 2 inch sched 40 pipe and a 3/8" x 6" steel plate both the the width of the blade in length. I split the pipe lengthwise, put the plate into the pipe (you can't see that because of the snow in the pipe) and welded it full length. I drilled holes to match the blade. In the summer I put the grader blade on and when the snow flies I switch to the "snow edge". The large radius of the pipe doesn't move gravel around but it moves the snow. It's still going strong after 22 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Very slick and very permanent! If we had winters like in MT, I'm sure that your 'fix' would be tried here too. That's what I love about this forum-lots of good ideas to choose from!

Frank

/ Snow Plowing Gravel Driveway - Problem Solved!!! #10  
Attached Thumbnails

I did something similar, but instead of bolting on, I made brackets that sandwich the cutting edge and two hooks that go on top of the blade. there are chains with plow bolts welded on the ends that go up vertically through my "hooks" which when tightened down hold the pipe on. the brackets that sandwich the cutting edge are in between the cutting edge bolts, and prevent the whole thing from sliding off either side. it works great, and is easy to remove. I can get some pics maybe tonight if anyone wants to see how I did it.