Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow plowing

/ Snow plowing #11  
Dave,I started out doing freebe plowing but,it can create some problems.
Like how far down the road do you consider people your neighbors?some people are sure to feel slighted.
When you break something on your equipment will your neighbor help you out?
My son and I do about a dozen driveways and charge by the plow,all of them call each fall to make sure that they are on the list for reliable snow removal.
Many of them are bussiness people and realize that we have money invested in equipment and are glad that they don't have to.
The other day I did a freebe for a neighbor who's plow guy didn't show up but, I don't intend on doing it all winter,heck it snows too much here and the fun part gets old real fast.
Here's a pic of the latest storm......Mike

Attachments

• 47-214231-DK40insnow.JPG
    47-214231-DK40insnow.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 147
   / Snow plowing #12  
I wish there was such a thing as plowing snow in western washington. People would laugh at you if you bought snow removel equipment for a truck or machine. Here is a nice <A target="_blank" HREF=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bswallow25/vwp?.dir=/heavy+equipment&.src=ph&.dnm=b21+with+snow+plow.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/bswallow25/lst%3f%26.dir=/heavy%2bequipment%26.src=ph%26.view=t>plow on a b21</A>.

Blake
WA

/ Snow plowing #13  
We live in a semi-rural area, technically in the city but in fact in the country. There are about a dozen houses on our dead-end street of about a half kilometer. The neighbours range from early 30s to over 80. There is one neighbour who is an elderly widow and who lives across the street from us. I plow her driveway whenever I plow mine - it only takes a few minutes and she could not do it herself. I also shovel her walk and steps. I also cut her grass in the summer, but that is only about half an acre so it also only takes a few minutes as well. She used to pay lawn cutters $50 a week which she couldn't afford. I don't charge her anything and I don't expect to get paid. She is very appreciative and occaisionally gives me a pie - which is just fine, even though the pie is not very good, but it is the thought that counts. The other neighbours are capable of looking after themselves.

/ Snow plowing #14  
Blake, I tried to view the picture and Yahoo tells me the picture is inaccessible.

Also, the URL you posted was a bit long and caused all the posts in the thread to become wide which means some people might have to scroll left and right to read a post. So I edited your post (I'm a Moderator and can do such things /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) and made the URL you posted a hot link by doing the following...

{url=your URL}plow on a B21{/url}

Replace the {} with [].

/ Snow plowing #15  
The lady who used to serve me school lunch many years ago and her husband live next door and I would not dream of taking a dollar for plowing them out!
I used to feel sorry for a young neighbor with several children, and would plow him out, until he bought a $6500 atv! If he has enough money for that, he can figure out some way to plow his drive.

/ Snow plowing #16  
I'm sure I'll try to plow the driveway for the widow next door. Hubby just passed this last fall. He always left his tractor full of fuel and the blade hooked up for me, while he was in Florida, just in case I needed it. I'll try it with my 2WD Yanmar if I can, if not I'll get his. I have no idea if she'll be "snow-birding" without him this year or not.
I'd never except any payment from her, they have been great neighbors the short time I've been here.

Jerry

/ Snow plowing #17  
I have to say I'm actually looking forward to some snow this winter so I can do some stuff like that. I've had more than ample snow removal equipment for our last two snowless winters here (cause & effect?) and wouldn't mind using it a little to help some folks out who really need it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Snow plowing #18  
I always plow for the old couple across the road, and mow their lawn in the Summer. They absolutely insist on paying for the mowing, and sometimes slip me a couple bucks for plowing. I also plow for a couple others, and they just smile, wave and say "thanks". One Brother-in-law lives nearby, and when I plow there, he usually sends a coffee cake or pie over tha next day. One nearby neighbor asked me to ignore any snow on his driveway - he bought a walk-behind snowblower.

I simply enjoy being outside playing, especially in the snow. This year is the first I will have a FEL to use. I had been using a rear blade only for many years. When I got the B7500 last Spring, one of the first implements purchased was a new rear blade. They're tough to beat for most of the snow we see here - generally 6" or less. With those snows, swinging the blade to the side and plowing forward works well.

I imagine the FEL will be more useful to do the cleanup at the end of the driveway and to deal with the heavier snows. I need to check the forecast. Last I heard they were calling for 3-7" here starting early tomorrow AM.

Hoping for a REAL Winter for a change.............chim

/ Snow plowing #19  
DAVE: i will on ocassion plow my 2 neighbors, only if i have time or the stamina, even when i can't i will usually clear their mail boxes for them, it don't take long and they appreciate it, but do not expect it. in an extremly heavy snow if i am plowing and they have not had their sons plow yet, i will at least clear the end of the drive so they can get the car off the road. live in rural area and them big old town and county plows can play havoc with a car not seen. really all depends on yur avaiable time, don't want them to expect it tho.

/ Snow plowing #20  
That can be a hard call for sure..to plow or not to plow,kinda depends on your good relationship w/your neighbors...if you do it for one,than you should do it for all of your neighbors??..where would be the cut off point.

After plowing season over you may find a neighbor or two would like a little something done w/your eqiupment..are you going to charge them the same price as for plowing??

Elderiy..I plow for free.

Emergency..I plow just enough so that person can go.

I been burnt more than couple of times by neighbors in the past..trying to be Mr.Nice Guy while they are relaxing on the sofa watching ESPN or on the P/C etc.. while there snow shovel set idle waiting for me to show up for free.

Have new neighbor across the road now,and I heard thru the grape vine the ex-neighbor said I would plow him for free..oh yeah /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Just be careful..so if something should happen and you decide not to plow for free anymore,there won't be to many sour grapes w/your neighbors.