Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow plowing

/ Snow plowing #1  

kodiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
kioti DK45, FEL
I have my first tractor. We anticipate snow. None of my neighbors (I live in a rural area) have any means for removing snow from their driveways.
I am trying to think how to respond if my neighbors/friends request I plow their driveways. My thought is to do it for free (the neighborly thing to do). Plus it is playing time on the tractor!!! On the other hand, will they then expect me to show up every time it snows to plow for them? Just curious how you "old-timers" handle this situation.

Thanks Dave

/ Snow plowing #2  
Since living at this property, I have, on occasion, "gratiously" plowed a couple of neighbors driveways after a heavy (rare) snowfall. I haven't seen any expectation that I would show up every time. I guess it would depend on your relationship with your particular neighbors!

/ Snow plowing #3  
I plow out my elderly neighbors (1/4 mile down the road) on the way to plow out my mailbox. As for the other neighbor, they have a plowing service but now and then after/during a particularly nasty storm when the fellow with the plow truck is running late I'll plow out just enough of each side for the tires to get a grip...but will not give them a full professional style clearing. The message is I'll help a neighbor in a pinch, but if you want the job done right hire a pro.

Pete

/ Snow plowing #4  
None of our nearby neighbors (all 2 of them!) have asked me to plow their driveways. However, I have plowed them once or twice without being asked. One lady, a widow, has been fighting cancer for a few years and, like Pete mentioned, after a heavy snowfall I've plowed her driveway if her son hasn't arrived to do it (before I had a tractor, I also used my snowblower and before that a shovel to clear her driveway).

The other neighbor usually will ask us to collect their mail when they go on vacation. Last winter they were in Florida and were due to come back right after we got 6" - 8" of snow. So they didn't have to come back to shoveling, I cleared their driveway plus their turnaround. When my wife took their housekeys back, they said I could do that anytime! Another opportunity has not arisen lately.

My practice is to clear my driveway at the house and then the driveway at the barn. If I have time and the snow is heavy, I will clear their driveways. I am also careful to stay well away from the sides of the driveways so I don't plow up lawn and I stay well away from vehicles. I leave the fine detail work to them.

BTW, both these driveways are paved which makes using the FEL for plowing easier.

/ Snow plowing #5  
I do the same as the others that are replying. Bad storm or when I see they haven't been out yet, I plow a path, and leave the cleaning up to them. I let them know that if they are ever in need of a plowing, to be sure to call. Otherwise, I will do it when I am out and about. Once another neighbor came to my neighbor and plowed him out. So now, I try to get there first. Not sure why, but guess it is the competition. I enjoy the chance to plow them out. I also normally beat the town plow to the 1/4 mile of town road between me and the county road.

I don't feel any obligation to do the neighbors drive all the time, and hope that I don't cause an embarassing situation when I do their drive for them. Another neighbor further away with a long, steep drive (1/2 mile, 12% slope) called for me to do theirs when their contract plower couldn't make it. I was happy to have the chance to do it. Fun to help out.

/ Snow plowing #6  
Hopefully I am not an old timer but we do alot of snowplowing, some pay,some dont, but all are clean atfer the snow falls and thats o.k.

Enjoy the winter, its only here a few months then were off to spring !!!

/ Snow plowing #7  
If you do decide to plow your neighbor's drives, be careful that you don't do any damage and try to anticipate what they might do if you do damage something. For example, my neighbor plowed ours out and put gouges in the concrete slab in front of the garage and knocked chucks of concrete off the edges. I didn't even ask him to plow the drive, he did it while we were out of town. We drive a 4x4 Suburban, so it didn't need to be plowed anyway. But, rather than cause friction (I have to live next to him!), I just made it a priority to buy my own rear blade ASAP and made sure he knew I have one now!

/ Snow plowing #8  
Danny,

I think you handled that in the absolute best possible manner. I hope I would do the same. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Snow plowing #9  
Hi Dave,

Just make sure that if you are doing this as a favor, you accept no money for the job. My insurance agent said I'm covered unless any money changes hands... and that they check!

Otherwise, we've had no problems. The neighbors are mostly farmers, and after a heavy snow they cruise up and down the road and help out anybody that needs it. I do that now too, now that I have a tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Check with your insurance person.. but I'm pretty sure this is standard..

Have fun,
Bob

/ Snow plowing #10  
<font color=blue>...If you do decide to plow your neighbor's drives, be careful that you don't do any damage ...</font color=blue>

Danny, that also applies to other "freebies" such as raking, tilling, mowing, brush hogging, etc. etc.

Sometimes being a "good samaritan", neighbor helping neighbor... can cost ya dearly... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif