rake with blade to remove snow?

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
I have access to a 60" Land Pride rake with flip-down blade and gauge wheels. I was thinking of getting it for snow removal (along with FEL). What appeals to me is the fact that I can angle the rake/blade which I assume will push the snow off to the side. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good setup? Thanks.

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #2  
Forget who it was, but he had good results with just using the rake... the flip down blade would be extra nice :thumbsup: (when you get it, post some photos, it sounds like a neat implement).

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #3  
I've used a rake to move snow. It worked very well, especially when I clamped a full length piece of U-channel on the tines. It acted as a scraper and also kept the gravel from being lifted. Later on, I added a piece of 2x8 to the rig as a backboard to keep the fluffy snow from leaking through the tines. The channel + board deal allows you to have a rear plow that's wider than the rake actually is because of how much wood you want to acquire.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

/ rake with blade to remove snow?
great idea attaching a board! Do you use gauge wheels or just allow the board to float?

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #5  
The tines of my rake get clogged up almost immediately, with the wet snow we get around here. It works almost the same as a blade. I don't have gauge wheels, but if I did, I'd set them to stir up a bit of driveway-gravel into the snow that remains after I've gone over with the rake.

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #6  
I have access to a 60" Land Pride rake with flip-down blade and gauge wheels. I was thinking of getting it for snow removal (along with FEL). What appeals to me is the fact that I can angle the rake/blade which I assume will push the snow off to the side. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good setup? Thanks.

I have a 72" rake that does a good job moving light snow loads. I like the combed finish a rake leaves on the snow compared to a blades smooth finish. Much better for vehicle traction.

What size tractor do you have? Just note a 60" blade on a 30 degree angle has a usable width of about 52". Make sure this is a good size match for your tractor.

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #7  
Forget who it was, but he had good results with just using the rake... the flip down blade would be extra nice :thumbsup: (when you get it, post some photos, it sounds like a neat implement).

JohnDeere3720 uses a rake...

/ rake with blade to remove snow? #8  
I used to have a rubber cutting edge I bolted on the back of an 8 foot rake. I really thought it worked good, I never angled it though. I also had a 100 pound weight strapped on it for down pressure. This was on my JD 3720.