Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX22

Default rake with blade to remove snow?

I have access to a 60" Land Pride rake with flip-down blade and gauge wheels. I was thinking of getting it for snow removal (along with FEL). What appeals to me is the fact that I can angle the rake/blade which I assume will push the snow off to the side. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good setup? Thanks.

Tractor
    L2800 - HST

Default Re: rake with blade to remove snow?

Forget who it was, but he had good results with just using the rake... the flip down blade would be extra nice (when you get it, post some photos, it sounds like a neat implement).

Tractor
    jd 1070

I've used a rake to move snow. It worked very well, especially when I clamped a full length piece of U-channel on the tines. It acted as a scraper and also kept the gravel from being lifted. Later on, I added a piece of 2x8 to the rig as a backboard to keep the fluffy snow from leaking through the tines. The channel + board deal allows you to have a rear plow that's wider than the rake actually is because of how much wood you want to acquire.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX22

great idea attaching a board! Do you use gauge wheels or just allow the board to float?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300

The tines of my rake get clogged up almost immediately, with the wet snow we get around here. It works almost the same as a blade. I don't have gauge wheels, but if I did, I'd set them to stir up a bit of driveway-gravel into the snow that remains after I've gone over with the rake.

Tractor
    2010 JD2320

Quote Originally Posted by bellweather View Post
    I have access to a 60" Land Pride rake with flip-down blade and gauge wheels. I was thinking of getting it for snow removal (along with FEL). What appeals to me is the fact that I can angle the rake/blade which I assume will push the snow off to the side. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good setup? Thanks.
    I have a 72" rake that does a good job moving light snow loads. I like the combed finish a rake leaves on the snow compared to a blades smooth finish. Much better for vehicle traction.

What size tractor do you have? Just note a 60" blade on a 30 degree angle has a usable width of about 52". Make sure this is a good size match for your tractor.
    Darrell

JD2320, 200CX, 53" Bucket, 54" QH SnowBlower, iMatch, Ballast Box, LR1072, RC2048, GM3060, 647 Tiller, SS1023B

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    Forget who it was, but he had good results with just using the rake... the flip down blade would be extra nice (when you get it, post some photos, it sounds like a neat implement).
    JohnDeere3720 uses a rake...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    a real 4320JD and a 3720JD 5610 Toolcat "Luigi"

I used to have a rubber cutting edge I bolted on the back of an 8 foot rake. I really thought it worked good, I never angled it though. I also had a 100 pound weight strapped on it for down pressure. This was on my JD 3720.