Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snowblower Conundrum

/ Snowblower Conundrum #1  

WilliamTO-35

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Two weeks ago, fearful of February weather, I bought a snowblower online (finding one I wanted in stock wasn't easy) and had it delivered . Since then, of course, there's been no snow in these parts, and the forecast is for warmer weather and an early spring. ( At least according to Phil the groundhog.) At this point, I'd sort of like to try out my new snowblower, but at the same time I'm already really tired of the snow. That's called a conundrum ! We've had some blizzards in March, however, so in the final analysis I have no say in the matter . We'll see !

/ Snowblower Conundrum #2  
what did you get?

/ Snowblower Conundrum #3  
You'll get your chance. Late-season storms can be heavy and wet so odds are your new blower will get a workout yet. Have fun.

/ Snowblower Conundrum #4  
it's a typical murphy's law situation. if you had not bought the blower, you would be up to your neck in snow every day. because you bought it, you won't have another flake the rest of the season.

two years i had does (deer) crossing my back yard like it was an expressway in the fall. i didn't have a permit. the next year i put in for an any-deer permit and there wasn't a single track across the same property.

/ Snowblower Conundrum
Stevess- To answer your question, the snowblower I bought online is a Murray brand 24 inch wide, with a Briggs & Stratton 8 TP engine. It's a two stage unit, with a crank handle to adjust the chute position. The rotor blade housing is 22 inches high, so at least in theory I could attack a drift that high. It does have a 120 volt electric starter plus a recoil starter, but does not have heated handles or a headlight. Murray makes a lot of yard equipment and snowblowers for other brands , so I figured parts would be available. I'm still a Briggs & Stratton fan, so I was pleased with that engine. The 8 TP power designation apparently refers to the torque in foot-lb. the engine develops at some unspecified rpm. From what I can find, the horsepower is probably about 6.5. While I haven't tried it yet, it does seem like a heavy duty, sturdy machine, and I think I can live with the somewhat narrow 24 inch width. It has 13 inch diameter tires. Of course, everything is just theory until I actually use it in some snow !

/ Snowblower Conundrum #6  
thanks for the reply. have you got a link to that? i've been thinking of getting one myself to do the walkways but didn't want to pay the premium during winter. maybe i'll wait until summer.
steve
bx25

/ Snowblower Conundrum #7  
Two weeks ago, fearful of February weather, I bought a snowblower online (finding one I wanted in stock wasn't easy) and had it delivered . Since then, of course, there's been no snow in these parts, and the forecast is for warmer weather and an early spring. ( At least according to Phil the groundhog.) At this point, I'd sort of like to try out my new snowblower, but at the same time I'm already really tired of the snow. That's called a conundrum ! We've had some blizzards in March, however, so in the final analysis I have no say in the matter . We'll see !

Don't ever listen to a 'giant rat':laughing::laughing::laughing:

Especially when 1 hour after his "prediction", there were shadows........and 3 hours later, there was sunshine.

/ Snowblower Conundrum
My snowblower came from New Engines Discount Engines Gas Portable Generators Pressure Washers . I suspect if you wait until summer, some good deals will be available from lots of places online, although if you want to see what you're buying, October and November seem to be the months when you see them everywhere. And maybe I'll be able to tell you by then if my model works well. I've seen some advertised lately with no-name Chinese engines and plastic augers. I personally would steer clear of those.
And Don, I fail to see why you would doubt the weather forecasting ability of a large rodent , apparently drugged to the hilt so he won't bite anybody.

/ Snowblower Conundrum #9  
My snowblower came from New Engines Discount Engines Gas Portable Generators Pressure Washers . I suspect if you wait until summer, some good deals will be available from lots of places online, although if you want to see what you're buying, October and November seem to be the months when you see them everywhere. And maybe I'll be able to tell you by then if my model works well. I've seen some advertised lately with no-name Chinese engines and plastic augers. I personally would steer clear of those.
And Don, I fail to see why you would doubt the weather forecasting ability of a large rodent , apparently drugged to the hilt so he won't bite anybody.
You apparently heard about the 'incident' :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Snowblower Conundrum #10  
I just bought and am waiting the delivery of a Erskine snowblower for my John Deere. For me it was worth the price to have it not snow anymore. I can wait until next year to put it to use. I would have like a summer price but as we are running out of room for the snow we have and better to be prepared in case Puxitony Phil is wrong.