Next year's snow

/ Next year's snow #1  

zmansmac

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
I know most of us are getting tired of the snow this season, especially many of us Michiganders. For several years I've been using a 6 ft back blade that I converted to use on the loader arms. I recently bought a used snow plow from a Case that is 54 inches wide. There are 2 reasons I want to change and that is to have a taller blade and, more importantly to me, to add wings on it to help clean up the snow that normally trails off the edges. This will be a summer project for me and I'm looking for advice on making the wings. Is there a standard or optimal angle that works best?:confused: And does it matter how high they are?:confused2: I know a lot of truck plows have wings that are easily removable but I'm thinking about making mine fixed (bolted in place) because I can't think of any good reason that I'll want to remove them. Comments please.:anyone:

JohnZ
B7500

/ Next year's snow #2  
I would go look at some truck plows to get a feel for the angle. You might also pick up some ideas on the best way to attach them and what's involved, too. I just did a search on the northerntool.com website and they have several sets for truck plows. Some were angled at 45 degrees and others at 22. Quite a difference -

/ Next year's snow
Thanks Fred, I'll look at Northern's site. I was also hoping to get some feedback from guys that have some experience with wings. For instance, if I angle the blade, say 30 degrees which I think is standard, and I have wings that are at a 45 degree angle to the blade, will the snow still plow off to the side down the driveway or will some of it flop over the wing. I would think a 22 degree wing would be better in this regard but may not clean up as well when plowing straight.

JohnZ
B7500