Snow Attachments Ferguson t30

/ Ferguson t30 #1  

genebogart

Tractor
ferguson to 30
I'm looking at a ferguson to-30. Any thoughts of a snow blade or thrower for the front? Could it be mounted like a souder loader? I'm new at this, dont want to spend a fortune but have a 1/2 mile driveway with a pretty good hill on it, was lookinfg at new stuff but what they have today dont look like it will outlast the older tractors.plus want to put in a big garden, it looks like i could get the attatchments pretty cheap:confused:

/ Ferguson t30 #2  
I hear a lot of good things about that model. I think you will like it. I also think you will be fine with a traditional rear blade for snow. At worst you may need to put some chains on the tires. You are on the right track.

/ Ferguson t30 #3  
I'm looking at a ferguson to-30. Any thoughts of a snow blade or thrower for the front? Could it be mounted like a souder loader? I'm new at this, dont want to spend a fortune but have a 1/2 mile driveway with a pretty good hill on it, was lookinfg at new stuff but what they have today dont look like it will outlast the older tractors.plus want to put in a big garden, it looks like i could get the attatchments pretty cheap:confused:

The TO-30 does not have a live pto or live hydraulics (when you step on the clutch you have no pto and no hydraulics) nor does it have position control on the 3 pt hitch. It was designed to work with ground engaging implements,(plows , diss, cultivators, etc).

I would doubt you could put a front blower on it without some major mods to a blower and a custom designed mount. It's really not designed for a loader though there are plenty around and it does not have power steering. The hydraulic pump is about a 2.5 gpm unit. You could add a front pump and drive a front blower with that. You might be able to fit a front blade on one. I have seen a few.

About all you can easily do with a TO-30 is use a rear blade and with loaded tires and chains and dry snow you can keep a driveway clear. If you get behind,on the snow or if it's wet, you'll have problems. I have a TO-30 and I live in NW Montana where our snow is mostly dry and not wind driven. If I stay up with the dry snow, I can keep the driveways clear but the driveway gets narrower with each pass because I can't push it further then the end of the blade. For our gavel drives I designed and fabed a snow edge that I put on in winter that doesn't tear up the gravel.,

If we have drifts then the snow becomes finely packed and I can't get out of the 750 foot driveway with the that tractor let alone plow it with a back blade. Even my TD95D in FWD with a FEL has a hard time with the drifted snow we get. I bought a used ARPS blower that I will use this winter and I think that will solve the problem.

My advise to you, if you live in snow country, is to get a tractor with live pto and live hydraulics. You'll have more control over the rear blade and have position control. You can fit a rear mounted blower on it or with a pto pump possibly add a FEL with a front blower. The smaller Ford 10 Series (2910, 3910), MF 230, etc would be better choices then the TO-30.

/ Ferguson t30 #4  
As mentioned the Fergy and the old Fords they are so much like lack a live PTO and hydraulics that can do some real work. That said they are tough as nails. I have a uncle who farms 4000 acres. He uses big stuff to farm but still has his Fergy 30 to do light stuff like Bush Hogging, ect.

I also have a pilot buddy in Southern Indiana that has a Fergy 20 and a 6' rear blade and a 6' finish mower. He has keep his drive cleaned for 20 plus years and the 100' wide by 2,600' grass runway at his home maintained. Again, tough as nails but limited in what it will do. He also gets about 15" of snow total for the winter where he lives.

This class of tractor is good for disc work, maybe a 2 bottom plow, pulling wagons, bush hogging, grading loose grave and soil, ect. As a serious snow weapon probably not so much.

Chris

/ Ferguson t30 #5  
I have a 135 that I've used for the past 11 years clearing 300' of driveway and another 800' of double lane road to our subdivision (gravel road) with a 7' MF back blade. There are certainly more effective ways to clear snow, on average it takes me about three hours to do but I'm never in that much of a hurry and really enjoy it. Yes it's standard steering, a bit of a bull to handle but with the split brakes quite frankly I seldom wrestle with the steering. It's like anything else I guess, learn how to get the most from your equipment.

If we get more than two feet at a time I break it up. I'll plow one lane down each side of the road and driveway to make sure I'll have the room I need to move the rest of the snow when the snow stops, and provides access in the event of an emergency.

Snowblowers are great but for any real quantity of snow on a driveway of any length and your better off with a plow on the front. Most people here that contract snow removal with their tractors have either the split blade or snow blade, makes short work of it for sure.

/ Ferguson t30 #6  
I had a Ferguson 30 for many years and it was excellent for brush hogging. My biggest gripe was that pan seat, it was uncomfortable.

/ Ferguson t30 #7  
Can anyone say what the parts availability is like with the T30?

/ Ferguson t30 #8  
Can anyone say what the parts availability is like with the T30?

I had a TO 20 a few yrs ago. No problems getting parts that I needed at that time

/ Ferguson t30 #9  
A friend has a TO-30, as mentioned it does NOT have a live PTO, he was having problems stopping when bush hogging. I finally talked him into purchasing an overrunning PTO clutch after running into his wifes horse barn for the second time. He has had problems getting parts for it maybe others can provide you with sources for parts for the engine. If you are going to use it to move snow, as mentioned earlier learn how to use the brakes to steer the tractor.

TractorData.com - Overrunning PTO Clutch

/ Ferguson t30 #10  
I had a TO 20 a few yrs ago. No problems getting parts that I needed at that time
Parts are available but nothing like the the Ford tractors. Heck you can build a new N series, 600 though 900 series tractor from parts mail ordered.

Chris