Plow wings for a 60" blade

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #1  

sixgun

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I'm using the Kubota 60" blade on the front of my B2710 and I'm considering the SAM PW22 wings that Northern Tool (and others) sell. They are supposed to add about 10" per side and angle forward about 22 degrees.

The blade I'm using now sure beats the bucket method, which evolved into a landscape blade on the 3ph, but the narrow path created in combination with excessive trail-off keeps me busy for a bit longer than I'd like. I already have issues moving both forward and in the direction of my choice when the snow is heavy and deep, but the wings would be great for lesser/lighter storms and make for far fewer passes to deal with the trail-off.

The installation guide seems to point to a fairly simple install, even for a bit-snapping hatchet man like me. Anyone have experience with installing and using these things?

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #2  
I have wings on a old JD snowplow. As long as the steel is as heavy as the plow, you should be fine, and the cutting edge fits.

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #3  
I have used aftermarket wings like those and I find that they tear up your blade over time where they attach. That being said. I am a huge fan of wings on my plows! They are much more efficient, but unfortunately the best ones are home made. I will try to post some pix of some that I have made.

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #4  
Ok, I don't have pix of my either of my Kubota plows readily available, but here are my first set of wing I made for my Old JD 400 and a patrol wing I made for the side. That little fella would push a 10' swath. Those were good times.:thumbsup:

th_100_2240.jpg
th_100_2243.jpg
andyaeec
th_100_2430.jpg
th_100_2435.jpg

Last edited:
   / Plow wings for a 60" blade
That looks like some nice work there, HC. I envy the guys out there that have learned to weld and such. Nice color matching, too. Not something that I've found the time (or the real need) for as of yet but I'm still young (46) so who knows. I do make a few batches of homebrew beer and wine from kits every year and the wife has me gardening, raising chickens, turkeys, pigs and rabbits and that fills out the schedule pretty well. She takes good care of me so it's a pleasure to make her happy.

Heck, it's hard enough to find time to ride the Valkyrie as it is, much less don the straw hat and chug around the yard on the tractor. I am going to put my order in to NT for those wings while I watch the all star game tonight, though. I can't believe that I'm thinking snow on a day that's hot enough to pop corn in the sun.

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #6  
Thanx Sixgun. I totally relate to not enough hrs in the day. Us snow contractors start looking at rebidding our contracts, and getting new ones next month. Kinda crazy to think about it in 95-105 deg weather.
You will notice a HUGE difference with the wings. Just be careful and don't hit anything immoveable. They don't like it much. Good luck.:thumbsup:

The plow wings came today. The quality seems OK, though I'm sure I will find a way to test this theory early in the snow season. There was an extra set of hanging brackets for one side...I wonder if this was an oversight or an omen.:laughing:

It may be a while before I get to the install, but I'll try to post pictures when that happens. I sure hope they make my itty bitty blade bigger but not so big as to make it impossible for my semi bitty tractor to get the job done.

Going bass fishing on Thursday. Supposed to be around 97 degrees so maybe I'll be swimming instead.

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #8  
During last year's insane winter, I slightly bent a grader blade. So I took a heavy piece of 3/8" angle iron and bolted it to where the edge bolts on. It seems like if your wings did bend, the angle iron would work well.

/ Plow wings for a 60" blade #9  
Sixgun,

Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing about the install. I put a 60" blade on my B3030 last year and found it a bit narrow. That being said, it seemed pretty wide when I was using the rear mounted blower and it kept digging into the 3 fooot banks.

JL

I found the time to install the wings over the weekend. The hardest part, as expected, was drilling the 1-1/8 holes in the blade. The wings give an extra 22 inches of plow length, as was advertised in the literature. The wing material is about 3/16 thick and the welds on the hinge plates don't run the entire length of the contact. The rubber sweeper panels that close the gap between the wing, blade ends and ground surface are about an inch thick. We'll see how they perform in about 4 months...

Here are a few photos of the pieces and install.

Attachments

• DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    552.6 KB · Views: 845
  • DSC00458.JPG
    DSC00458.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 1,085
  • DSC00455.JPG
    DSC00455.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 1,829
  • DSC00460.JPG
    DSC00460.JPG