Sizing Snowblower To Tractor

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #1  

Airedale

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 30 - TYM T433 Cab - Power King 1614
Is there a rule of thumb that is used to size a three point snowblower's width-cut to the tractor's Horse Power?

Al

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #2  
Is there a rule of thumb that is used to size a three point snowblower's width-cut to the tractor's Horse Power?

Al

You should attempt to get a blower that is at least as wide as your tire width. The bigger around the 'fan' is the better. The diameter of the fan relates to throwing distance at a certain RPM, and the deeper the fan....corelates to the volume of snow you can move...too. The augers do little but feed the fan, but should be robust...they are usually the first thing that runs into something unmoveable... Most blowers have a gearbox that is good for 'X' amount of HP....so you have to consider how much HP your tractor has and try not to overwork a lower HP gearbox if you have one. Being able to match your ground speed to keep from trying to stuff too much snow into the fan is a big plus. If you get a slightly narrow blower, you can make 'wings' on the sides to help cover your tracts. Basically, if you can lift the blower...have enough traction to push it....and vary your ground speed enough...there is no such thing as too big a blower.... [well, you have to be able to see OVER it too ] :) Good luck, Jerry

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #3  
From those I have owned, depending on the "weight" of the snow, anywhere from 75% (heavy) to 100% of the deck size.

If the tractor can handle a 42" deck, then UP TO a 42" snow thrower for medium to light, and 36" for more heavy snows.

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #4  
4hp per ft. It does depend on many variables, but that's a nice rule of thumb for starters.

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor
Thanks much for the replies folks. I have been using an old 6 1/2 ft single auger blower behind my TYM 433 which is 42 HP and low 30s at the PTO, I have plenty of power to operate this old blower and it has worked well. I had a chance to get my hands on a very nice mint International 7 1/2 ft blower with a double two tier auger and I did buy it. I believe my Tractor has enough power and I will be OK, but getting down and dirty with the snow this winter will tell the truth I guess.

Al

Last edited:
   / Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #6  
That all seems right and I hope its true, i just bought a woods 74" with my pto hp at 28. 2 under thier minimum spec, but the woods tech seemed to think traction would be more of an issue that hp.

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #7  
The thing with snow blowers is that speed more than HP makes the difference. If the snow is about the height of my blower I have to slow to a crawl but it really doesn't slow the motor down much. There seams to be a limit on how much snow can go into a blower at given speed. Worse comes to worse you'll just have to go a little slower but you will be clearing a wider path so it'll balance out.

/ Sizing Snowblower To Tractor #8  
The thing with snow blowers is that speed more than HP makes the difference. If the snow is about the height of my blower I have to slow to a crawl but it really doesn't slow the motor down much. There seams to be a limit on how much snow can go into a blower at given speed. Worse comes to worse you'll just have to go a little slower but you will be clearing a wider path so it'll balance out.

That's a good description.

If I put my 74" single auger Frontier blower into deep snow that has had time to settle, like from multiple storms, it will bog the engine down while running in the lowest, slowest gear I have with a 12X12 shuttle. I have about 37 rated hp at the pto.

After the first pass, you can always take a partial width cut, or raise the blower on the first pass to limit the depth if you can keep traction.
Dave.