Snow Equipment Owning/Operating time to upgrade

/ time to upgrade #1  

claytoncramer

Tractor
none yet
I am currently using a two stage walk behind snow thrower to clear a 600 foot driveway. While those of you in Michigan might laugh at what we call a serious snow problem here in Idaho, it's serious enough! We sometimes get a foot or more of snow, and our driveway is pretty steep. We really do need to take it down to bare pavement or close to that, or we have to use chains on the 4WD and AWD vehicles. (The Corvette just goes into storage for the winter.)

I have been looking at various alternative strategies, because the snow thrower is very slow. I am also thinking that if we had a better snow removal device, we might clear the shared private road out to the highway (about 2000 feet).

My first thought was an ATV with a snow plow blade. ATVs are pretty expensive new, and I don't know enough to know whether I am buying a used one in good condition. Someone suggested that one of the compact or garden tractors with a snow plow blade or snow thrower attachment might be a less expensive solution--and because tractors are not geared for high speeds, that would be a better choice anyway.

Here's my question: how small (and therefore cheap) of a tractor do I need to be able to clear as much as a foot of snow? I prefer the use of a snow plow blade, both because it is cheaper than a snow thrower, and because it is mechanically simpler. Before we had our driveway paved, the two stage snow thrower was constantly picking up rocks and jamming. If we want to clear the shared private gravel road to the highway, this will continue to be a problem. My impression is that for very deep snow, the thrower is a better choice than a plow. Please enlighten me!

/ time to upgrade #2  
I'm in north Idaho myself, and we can get up to 3 feet of snow overnight....... i prefer a snowblower myself. With skid shows on it you can stop rocks from getting sucked up.
Not sure in what part of Idaho your from, but up here they use ATV's, lawn tractors and compact tractors successfully. It all depends on how MUCH snow you have to move.

i CAN END UP PUSHING/BLOWING SNOW FOR 8 HOURS ON A BAD BLOW DAY, SO TRACTORS ARE MY ONLY CHOICE. If i had only a 200' driveway to do id probably use a mower with blade or blower attachment, cause I too think the UTV's are too highly priced...heck you can nearly buy a tractor for the same price.

/ time to upgrade #3  
Since you have both 4WD and AWD vehicles, how about adding a plow to one of them? Odds are, that would be the least expensive way to go although running around all winter with a snow plow on front wouldn't be my idea of fun.
As far as an ATV with a plow, I'd think you'd run out of traction pretty quick with 12" of snow and a 600' drive.
Another possibility is an old 4WD pickup or small dump with a plow and just use it on your property. Don't register or insure it.
As far as a tractor...that's really going to depend on how much you want to spend. Since you admit "I don't know enough to know whether I am buying a used one in good condition", buying a used tractor could be more of a problem and expense then a used ATV. I don't think an old tractor (which might require tinkering to keep it running) is in your best interest.

So, that goes back to having a plow installed on one of your vehicles.

/ time to upgrade
I would probably buy a new garden tractor; all the problems of ignorance that would apply to a used ATV are even more so with a tractor. These can be had below $2000 at Home Depot.

The nuisance of having a snowplow on the front of my wife's Trailblazer all winter would be substantial, and the Jaguar X-type is probably not a common mount point for snow plows.

/ time to upgrade #5  
Hello Clayton,

Welcome to the forum.

I purchased a an overstock still in the crate 2010 John Deere 115 hydrostatic tractor with a 42 inch 2 stage snow caster, rear weights, snow chains and lawn mower for $3,650.40 tax included here in New York.

The 2010 115 has 19.5 horsepower and would have plenty of kick a** as Kenny Cartman would would say for what you want. Growing up I used a 12 horse hydro IHC Cub Cadet with a single stage snow caster on a steep long paved driveway with just chains and a homemade cab, had zero problems other than a blown head gasket.

I am sure you can find a overstock inventory and a snow caster from a John Deere dealer if you call around.

You may have trouble purchasing the snow caster, weights, weight frame and snow chains from a big box store quickly.

A lot of folks use low horsepower tractors for very very long driveways with no problems. You probably would want to purchase a soft cab with your weather too. I plan on purchasing a Berco Soft cab as it is much more substantial than the currently offered John Deere soft cab.

Last edited:
   / time to upgrade #6  
Clayton,
I also am in North Idaho,CDA area, and went through our recent record setting winter 3 years ago with a 28" walk behind and a 4wd ATV with a blade. I spent many an afternoon using a shovel to loosen the berms so I could blow it off the driveway with the walk behind. After that I decided on a tractor and 3pt snow blower.:thumbsup:

You do not mention if you have room to push the snow only using a blade, with heavy snow you need enough speed and weight to push the snow, do you think a lawn tractor will do it for you? Whatever you decide good luck!

/ time to upgrade #7  
...and the Jaguar X-type is probably not a common mount point for snow plows.

I dunno, Bro...a plow might improve the looks of the Jaguar...just kidding, of course.
Are you one of the California transplants to Idaho? I figured most folks in Idaho were pick up types...

/ time to upgrade #8  
Clayton,
I also am in North Idaho,CDA area, and went through our recent record setting winter 3 years ago with a 28" walk behind and a 4wd ATV with a blade. I spent many an afternoon using a shovel to loosen the berms so I could blow it off the driveway with the walk behind. After that I decided on a tractor and 3pt snow blower.:thumbsup:

You do not mention if you have room to push the snow only using a blade, with heavy snow you need enough speed and weight to push the snow, do you think a lawn tractor will do it for you? Whatever you decide good luck!

Athol idaho here......hi there neighbor

/ time to upgrade #9  
I would probably buy a new garden tractor; all the problems of ignorance that would apply to a used ATV are even more so with a tractor. These can be had below $2000 at Home Depot.

The nuisance of having a snowplow on the front of my wife's Trailblazer all winter would be substantial, and the Jaguar X-type is probably not a common mount point for snow plows.

I casn fix the jag up with a snow plow...no problem :laughing: :laughing:

/ time to upgrade #10  
More horsepower = more width = less time spent removing snow *IF* it reduces the number of passes you make.

Just about every GT ever made has some kind of factory or aftermarket plow attachment - even the little ones. Getting more HP doesn't make you go faster, it just lets them sell you a wider blade - you'll drive about the same speed. If the extra width lets you get the job done in fewer passes, it's worth it.

I switched from a 18hp Gt w/ snowblower to a 25hp SCUT w/ snowblower, but I don't get my driveway done 40% faster because it's still two passes each direction to get rid of all the snow. The turnaround area goes a little faster, but the main 2200' drive still can take hours.