Adding Skid Shoes

/ Adding Skid Shoes #21  
Those won't work at all in deep wet snow on gravel because they load up and slide. You'll never find any kind of wheels on any commercial plow for a good reason.

No, actually, they work just fine. I have used them for many years.

You see, the snow in front of the plow is deep, but wheels are behind the plow, and the snow there is not.

Even if they did slide, isn't that what a skid does?

BTW: You second point is also incorrect, some of out ODOT snow plows DO have large pneumatic casters on them.

Here is a link to just one company that sells non existing caster wheels, (that you can't find), for their commercial plows.

RT Reversible Trip Blade Snow Plow

/ Adding Skid Shoes #22  
Paul,

Any recommendations on a hard-facing rod for the bottom of my bucket skids? I usually touch 'em up once a year with either mig or the stick.

My blade skids didn't seem to wear at all, they're mild steel, but once the driveways get frozen hard they slide along quite well.

Sean

Sean I attached a link to the ones I used. Can't tell you how much they cost because a buddy gave me an open box of them. If you can't find any let me know I might have some left ;). I think using anything under your skids is better than nothing so you've done well with what you did. Cheers. Paul

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/Literature/lit_17_Crce003.pdf

/ Adding Skid Shoes #23  
No, actually, they work just fine. I have used them for many years.

You see, the snow in front of the plow is deep, but wheels are behind the plow, and the snow there is not.

Even if they did slide, isn't that what a skid does?

BTW: You second point is also incorrect, some of out ODOT snow plows DO have large pneumatic casters on them.

Here is a link to just one company that sells non existing caster wheels, (that you can't find), for their commercial plows.

RT Reversible Trip Blade Snow Plow

I'll stand corrected but I'll keep on keeping on with skid shoes.

/ Adding Skid Shoes
I've ordered a Meteor pull-type with skid shoes but don't have it yet (being shipped next week). However, this page from Walco's brochure has a picture of the skid shoes.

I have contacted two tractor supply shops and the price for the bolt on skid shoes are $130.00 :eek: One has them in stock the other has to order them and will charge me shipping on top of the retail price. Do you think I can have a set welded up for less from a picture and a couple of measurements? I don't weld (yet).

/ Adding Skid Shoes #27  
I have contacted two tractor supply shops and the price for the bolt on skid shoes are $130.00 :eek: One has them in stock the other has to order them and will charge me shipping on top of the retail price. Do you think I can have a set welded up for less from a picture and a couple of measurements? I don't weld (yet).

fellow north idahoian here...ya gots to learn to weld....save yourself a fortune :laughing: Good price though, the hardened skid shoes i bought cost me $295. If your anwheres neer Forrest Steel in CDA, they make and sell shoes also.... least ways they used to a few years ago.

/ Adding Skid Shoes
GRS - Yes, I am east of CDA off Hwy 97, and I will check with Forrest Steel & CDA Metals. I have a wire feed welder and I am trying to get the hang of it but I don't think it would be strong enough for what I need.

/ Adding Skid Shoes #29  
GRS - Yes, I am east of CDA off Hwy 97, and I will check with Forrest Steel & CDA Metals. I have a wire feed welder and I am trying to get the hang of it but I don't think it would be strong enough for what I need.

A 220 wire feed should do the job, a 110 not so good. Im up by Athol myself. I use my old (18 yo) 225 amp ac/dc reverse polarity welder for the thicker metals. Your one of the wolf lodge/harrisson peps i see.