Adding Skid Shoes

/ Adding Skid Shoes #1  

joeyd

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM 353HST
After my first winter with a tractor and snow blower on a gravel drive I was thinking about adding bolt on adjustable skid shoes. I have a MK Martin SB 68 that has welded on skid plates and I adjusted the 3pt to lift the front edge about 1" to try and avoid spraying my gravel all over the place. I wasn't happy with the outcome so I was thinking about the adjustable shoes.

I know they are an option but can they be added with the plates that came on the blower? Or should I just adjust the upper link to lift the front higher to try and avoid scooping up gravel? I am aware of leaving a couple of inches of packed snow to freeze up and leave a better surface but we had a lot of slushy snow last year and that just didn't freeze up the way I like. I still use my ATV and blade when we only get 3-4".

/ Adding Skid Shoes #2  
I've ordered a Meteor pull-type with skid shoes but don't have it yet (being shipped next week). However, this page from Walco's brochure has a picture of the skid shoes.

Attachments

• MeteorFeatures_Walco.pdf
    215.1 KB · Views: 850
   / Adding Skid Shoes #3  
I installed Meyer plow, circular skid shoes on my 81" Lucknow for just that reason.

Any plow part supply outlet has skid shoes in various configurations. I think I paid about 10 bucks for each one.

You can destroy windows, car bodies and house siding real quick with a gravel spraying snowblower, not to mention killing someone if they are in the path of the snow/gravel mix.

My Lucknow will throw around 100 feet when she's cranked up (540).

/ Adding Skid Shoes #4  
I made up some gauge wheels for my blower that mount to the skid shoes. I think it rides on the gravel better than the skid shoes, but haven't actually tried it out in snow conditions yet. I'll have to report back later.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 4,413
   / Adding Skid Shoes #5  
I made up some gauge wheels for my blower that mount to the skid shoes. I think it rides on the gravel better than the skid shoes, but haven't actually tried it out in snow conditions yet. I'll have to report back later.

Might work for an itsy-bitsy light weight blower but my Lucknow weighs 1500 pounds. Round tires, as a rule, don't roll well on snow. They slide.:D

/ Adding Skid Shoes #6  
Most john deere dealers also sell a weld on adjustable hardened skid shoe kit. Ive seen them at several dealerships and put a set on my old farmking blower. Was real easy to weld on.

Attachments

• skid shoe 1.jpg
    skid shoe 1.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:
   / Adding Skid Shoes #7  
Most john deere dealers also sell a weld on adjustable hardened skid shoe kit. Ive seen them at several dealerships and put a set on my old farmking blower. Was real easy to weld on.

At a price I'm sure. Just let your keyboard and the Internet do the shopping. I somehow don't believe the JD dealer can beat my 20 dollar pair of skid shoes.

Around here, if it's green, it's money, lots of money.

/ Adding Skid Shoes #8  
I had the local machine shop bend some shoes for me... Welded them to brackets that are adjustable and attach to bolts on my blade.. Maybe something like this will work for you... Dave

Attachments

• Tractor 001.jpg
    Tractor 001.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 1,289
   / Adding Skid Shoes #9  
Even with fixed shoes you can adjust a rear blower's tendency to scrape/dig a lot with the top link and the lower arm control to control the angle of the blower. I tighten the top link for the first snows until there's a frozen base, it leaves an inch or so behind. When I lengthen it the blower will scrape which is good when there's a frozen base.