Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    TYM 353HST

Default Adding Skid Shoes

After my first winter with a tractor and snow blower on a gravel drive I was thinking about adding bolt on adjustable skid shoes. I have a MK Martin SB 68 that has welded on skid plates and I adjusted the 3pt to lift the front edge about 1" to try and avoid spraying my gravel all over the place. I wasn't happy with the outcome so I was thinking about the adjustable shoes.

I know they are an option but can they be added with the plates that came on the blower? Or should I just adjust the upper link to lift the front higher to try and avoid scooping up gravel? I am aware of leaving a couple of inches of packed snow to freeze up and leave a better surface but we had a lot of slushy snow last year and that just didn't freeze up the way I like. I still use my ATV and blade when we only get 3-4".
    Isa 43:2-3

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Default Re: Adding Skid Shoes

I've ordered a Meteor pull-type with skid shoes but don't have it yet (being shipped next week). However, this page from Walco's brochure has a picture of the skid shoes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

I installed Meyer plow, circular skid shoes on my 81" Lucknow for just that reason.

Any plow part supply outlet has skid shoes in various configurations. I think I paid about 10 bucks for each one.

You can destroy windows, car bodies and house siding real quick with a gravel spraying snowblower, not to mention killing someone if they are in the path of the snow/gravel mix.

My Lucknow will throw around 100 feet when she's cranked up (540).
    A couple Kubota's
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

I made up some gauge wheels for my blower that mount to the skid shoes. I think it rides on the gravel better than the skid shoes, but haven't actually tried it out in snow conditions yet. I'll have to report back later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3181-jpg  
    Runner

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    I made up some gauge wheels for my blower that mount to the skid shoes. I think it rides on the gravel better than the skid shoes, but haven't actually tried it out in snow conditions yet. I'll have to report back later.
    Might work for an itsy-bitsy light weight blower but my Lucknow weighs 1500 pounds. Round tires, as a rule, don't roll well on snow. They slide.
    A couple Kubota's

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Most john deere dealers also sell a weld on adjustable hardened skid shoe kit. Ive seen them at several dealerships and put a set on my old farmking blower. Was real easy to weld on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -skid-shoe-1-jpg  
    Last edited by grsthegreat; 10-05-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    Most john deere dealers also sell a weld on adjustable hardened skid shoe kit. Ive seen them at several dealerships and put a set on my old farmking blower. Was real easy to weld on.
    At a price I'm sure. Just let your keyboard and the Internet do the shopping. I somehow don't believe the JD dealer can beat my 20 dollar pair of skid shoes.

Around here, if it's green, it's money, lots of money.
    A couple Kubota's

Tractor
    '53 Jubilee

I had the local machine shop bend some shoes for me... Welded them to brackets that are adjustable and attach to bolts on my blade.. Maybe something like this will work for you... Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tractor-001-jpg  

Even with fixed shoes you can adjust a rear blower's tendency to scrape/dig a lot with the top link and the lower arm control to control the angle of the blower. I tighten the top link for the first snows until there's a frozen base, it leaves an inch or so behind. When I lengthen it the blower will scrape which is good when there's a frozen base.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

These are the ones I built for my rear blade last year, it should work well for your blower also. I've since removed the short lengths of pipe I had for adjustment spacers and substituted several washers. They give me better height adjustment.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/w...kid-shoes.html

Sean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast