3pt salt spreader

/ 3pt salt spreader #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Looking at upgrading my 3pt salt spreader. Ran an Agrex last year with mixed results. Ate way too many shear pins. After thinking I wanted a PTO model, I would prefer a non PTO model. Decided to sell Agrex.
Considering Snow Ex 1575 or 1875, but the prices are crazy on them.
Anyone have an alternative 3pt mount, electric motor type with cab controller and a more sensible price?

Last edited:
   / 3pt salt spreader #2  
Are you spreading salt or sand? I don't think salt should be a problem for any electric sander. But with sand being much cheaper than salt the spreader needed to throw the wet sand around gets pricey. I was looking into a Western Pro Flo 2 spreader but then you get up in the $2k range. I kind of shifted and started looking at the Herd 750s 3pt spreader. The other problem with sand is (at least around here) if you don't empty the spreader after each use it will freeze.

/ 3pt salt spreader #3  
I had the same problem trying to use a three point cone spreader to spread sand - it just doesn't work with anything but absolutely dry sand. I found a used airflo MSS and adapted it to fit on the three point. This MSS is a small box spreader with a bottom belt that moves sand to a rotating disk. Runs on 12 volts. The units are crazy expensive new but have been around for a long time so used units show up. They are built of stainless steel and heavy commercial bearings and gearboxes so they are pretty tough. The only problem I had was when the sand froze into a block in the spreader - but that would stop any spreader. With a full load of sand they weigh over 800 pounds.

Another possibility (but not 12 volt) is a pto powered Herd spreader. They seem to have a good reputation for spreading sand.

/ 3pt salt spreader
I usually spread a blend of "rice" (limestone chips) and salt, or just salt. I want to stay away from a PTO unit this time around. Makes plowing & salting at the same time too difficult at night on some of the treacherous roads I plow.
I'd rather hit a button and have the salt scatter than mess with PTO and high RPMs.

Last edited:
   / 3pt salt spreader #5  
I use two pto 3pt broadcast spreaders. I have made adjustable flaps to deflect the spread pattern down to sidewalk width when necessary. I haven't had any problems with either in four years now. BTW they each spread between 4000-6000 lbs per snow.

/ 3pt salt spreader
Found 2 different Snow Ex 1875's. One has butchered control box setup. Has control box from cheaper model. Spinner & auger are wired together.
Found another, but seller won't respond-might be sold.

Anyone see a decent 1875 laying around? I think I want this one not so much for all the features, but the capacity, too.