Snow Attachments Rear Blade for Snow Plowing

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
Originally I had planned to fabricate an FEL mount for an old 54" plow blade that I have, but due to lack of time to build presently and a few discussions I've seen here regarding the potential for damage to the FEL arms, I'm considering a rear blade for my Mahindra 2216. TSC has a 60" blade with a 14" moldboard at a reasonable price I may consider. I do have chains I will be mounting on the rear R4 tires.

Other than the obvious disadvantage of driving backwards, is there anything else to consider as a reason not to use a rear blade? Snow would be pushed, mostly in a straight direction, and hopefully banked onto a lawn, so I know I would need to careful in getting the blade raised as I got onto the lawn part.

- Is banking of snow somewhat doable?
- Should I consider mounting skids on a rear blade used for snow plowing?

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #2  
Be gentel backing up as the 3pt hitch arms are built to pull not push and can bend if you catch the blade on something. They work fine driving through the snow, just keep up with the storm as a large dump could be a challenge .

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #3  
For what you are describing, why not just push with the loader bucket? That's what a lot of us do. I'm a lot more comfortable pushing with the loader than I would be pushing in reverse with the 3PH. I also use a rear blade (right now a box blade) to pull snow away from buildings, etc. but when it's clear I push it with the bucket. I don't push with the rear blade if I can avoid it.

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #4  
Originally I had planned to fabricate an FEL mount for an old 54" plow blade that I have, but due to lack of time to build presently and a few discussions I've seen here regarding the potential for damage to the FEL arms, I'm considering a rear blade for my Mahindra 2216. TSC has a 60" blade with a 14" moldboard at a reasonable price I may consider. I do have chains I will be mounting on the rear R4 tires.

Other than the obvious disadvantage of driving backwards, is there anything else to consider as a reason not to use a rear blade? Snow would be pushed, mostly in a straight direction, and hopefully banked onto a lawn, so I know I would need to careful in getting the blade raised as I got onto the lawn part.

- Is banking of snow somewhat doable?
- Should I consider mounting skids on a rear blade used for snow plowing?

I suggest you get a larger blade (72"), angle it and drive forward whenever possible. Much easier then driving backward and pushing snow with a straight blade. A 60" on angle would not clear your tire width. I have a similar sized tractor and use a 72" rear landscape rake to move light snowfalls.

How To Series - Snow Removal - Tractor Rear Scrape Blade - YouTube

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #5  
I recently found an older post regarding this topic. I have a Mahindra 2615 with a 72" rear blade and following advice from here I went to TSC and bought a 4x6 ft horse stall mat. I also had to purchase longer bolts for the blade. Cut a piece of the mat the length of it and about 8" wide, remove the cutter (sure it has a name) from your blade, mark the holes on the mat and drill holes through it to align with the blade cutter holes. Place the rubber between the blade housing and the cutter blade and bolt it on with about 2" of rubber showing. Have not used on snow yet (but won't be long), but did drop the blade on the asphalt drive and comfortable it will not leave any marks on concrete or pavement this winter, unlike last. I pull forward with blade angled as suggested in the post already.

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #6  
I recently found an older post regarding this topic. I have a Mahindra 2615 with a 72" rear blade and following advice from here I went to TSC and bought a 4x6 ft horse stall mat. I also had to purchase longer bolts for the blade. Cut a piece of the mat the length of it and about 8" wide, remove the cutter (sure it has a name) from your blade, mark the holes on the mat and drill holes through it to align with the blade cutter holes. Place the rubber between the blade housing and the cutter blade and bolt it on with about 2" of rubber showing. Have not used on snow yet (but won't be long), but did drop the blade on the asphalt drive and comfortable it will not leave any marks on concrete or pavement this winter, unlike last. I pull forward with blade angled as suggested in the post already.

How about a picture of that.??

I used a rear blade the first winter I had a tractor. Drove forward and windrowed the snow. I prefer the bucket over the rear blade. Now, I prefer the 3pt. blower over the bucket.

I will say this, useing the bucket on snow is a real good time.:thumbsup: That's a blast.

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #7  

You will love how this set-up works. One of the best parts is that you don't need to be so careful near the lawn edges. With the stall mat strip installed you won't tear up the grass. Good luck!

Frank

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #8  
I'm not sure why anyone would push the snow backwards with a rear blade. I just drive forward with mine with it angled all the way and push the snow off to the side. I also put a rubber edge on mine. If you need to pile the snow, a rear blade isn't the right tool, use the FEL. A rear blade is really fast and easy driving forward, as long as the snow isn't very deep, say less than 8" or so. The wheels of the tractor smash the snow down when driving forward, but mine just scraps the snow off with no problems.

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #9  
We average over 160" a year and now I use a Kubota very similar to your Mahindra.

The rear blade from TSC is OK. I picked mine up with a coupon and manager's special and paid less than $300. For that kind of money? It's hard to beat. Along with the FEL, I get it done.

That said, It doesn't hold a candle to the efficiency of my former BX with a full hydraulic front blade. But, we use what we have.

Agree with the others. Don't be backing up a whole lot, and when you do, be very gentle. 3 pt arms can pull, but pushing can break them.

/ Rear Blade for Snow Plowing #10  
I agree with the backing up being tough on the arms, I've had good luck just chaining half of a pay loader tire in the bucket and pushing the snow, it leaves no windrows and stacks great.