Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck?

/ Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck? #1  

legbuh

Silver Member
Hello!

Above our garage we have a 25x25 wooden deck that was just redone last year. Last winter we got a LOT of snow so I like to keep it cleaned off mainly because of the weight on the roof.

Of course, after large storms it takes 3-4 hours to shovel it all off and is quite exhausting, so I was looking for alternatives. (last year over 100" of snow.. wet and heavy!)

I have seen these smaller blowers at some stores that have the rubber augers instead of metal and wondered if those would work or not. Or if there's a better solution that won't muck up the wooden deck.

I thought even if I could raise up the auger a little so it's about 1" off the ground that would be a tremendous help. I've seen posts in the tractor forums of people putting a piece of PVC pipe on the bottom to raise up the blowers for gravel plowing and thought that might work.

Just looking for ideas! Thanks!

/ Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck? #2  

Attachments

• 38272_200.jpg
    38272_200.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 595
   / Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck?
Would electric in this case be better than gas powered? I'm not really worried about cost... it's worth the convenience either way.

I really don't have any close outlets up on the deck either and would be worried about getting it tangled up in the auger or my feet when the snow gets too deep.

/ Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck? #5  
They work ok for deck use but get a roll of door edge guard and put it on the bottom metal frame to prevent scratches, I set up a couple small toros for guys that do colored concrete sidewalk clearing with them, if you leave the metal edge exposed it will leave scratches.

I would defintatley put something so it wouldn't scratch.. I wonder if the rubber auger itself would scratch though.

Here's something interesting! Even a video showing it in action... impressive! But I wonder how it would handle over a foot (which is what usually ends up up there!)

12 in. Electric Power Shovel Snow Blower-38361 at The Home Depot

Of course, after reading reviews on most electrics you find out they die quickly. So I think I'll pay more for a gas powered one. I know sams club had one but the one at TSC is cheaper and the same thing (rebranded).

/ Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck? #8  
I hav e been using a two stroke paddle snow thrower on our deck for three years. It works great! I just leave it up there for the season. If you decide on one, get the electric start along with the pull start. The cord wont break in july sitting in the shed, it waits till there is ten inches of snow down and more by the minute!

/ Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck? #9  
I have a small Toro electric one that I have been using for the last 10 or 12 years on my deck. The only problem I have had is it needed a new belt last year. Thing throws snow better than my gas walk behind at times.

/ Small rubber auger snow blowers for wood deck? #10  
We use a small two stroke Toro rubber auger snowthrower on a 12 X 35 deck but the small ones (like ours) are just not enough to keep up with deep heavy snow, especially when I rake it off the roof.

This year I modified a railing and added two winter ramps so that I can use my 12HP - 36" commercial grade Ariens on the deck. For light snow the little Toro was great.