Snow Attachments Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!!

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #1  

mattradintz

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I bought this Ber Vac 60" snowblower last year at auction for a steal, however didn't do the research as much as I should have. It has a 1 1/8" double key PTO yoke to attach to the blower and my tractor has an 1 /3/8" 6 spline pto. The PTO Shaft that came with it is seized because it is all rusted up. Does anyone have a solution? I need a new pto that can attach to the snowblower with an 1 1/8" double key but then on the tractor end a 1 3/8 6 spline. See the pics of the PTO shaft and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 2011-11-15 13 25 01 (3).jpg
    2011-11-15 13 25 01 (3).jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 848
  • 2011-11-15 13 25 19 (2).jpg
    2011-11-15 13 25 19 (2).jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 685
  • 2011-11-15 13 25 35 (2).jpg
    2011-11-15 13 25 35 (2).jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 561
  • blower2.jpg
    blower2.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 586
  • blower 1.jpg
    blower 1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 511
  • blower3.jpg
    blower3.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:
   / Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #2  
Hello Matt, welcome to the forum.

First Do not panic!!

You can purchase the right drive line with no issues
from almost everywhere or a driveline shop locally.

I would check with AGsupply.com TSC or Farm and Fleet
if you have one nearby as its a simple fix.

I believe you can still order new ones with differant female
connectors from TSC through one of the stores to have it
delivered to the local TSC store. They might even have the
one you need in stock or be able to have ot shipped to the
store easily

The R.P.M's are the same its the connections are that
are different thats all.

Be sure to change the oil in the gear box and put a little
extra grease through the bearings and lay ina supply of
Fluid Film? | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor to protect the steel of the snow blower
and make the interior slicker to reduce sticking of the snow.

Last edited:
   / Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #3  
If the two sides will move (ie: extend), take it into a tractor (or driveline) shop and have them change out the "crosses" on the ends. That will replace the + shaped piece and all of the bearings at both ends.

If it wont extend, I would set it in a bucket of 50/50 diesel/ATF for a week or two to see if that will loosen it up enough to move.

Edit: Last time I had one done, it was $20-30/end to replace the "crosses"

Aaron Z

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!!
leonz- So you are saying I should be able to have a custom PTO shaft built to fit my exact application at Tractor Supply? Great! Ideally I would like to see if I could un-seize and the existing shaft and just switch out the yokes/knuckles.

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #5  
I bought this Ber Vac 60" snowblower last year at auction for a steal, however didn't do the research as much as I should have. It has a 1 1/8" double key PTO yoke to attach to the blower and my tractor has an 1 /3/8" 6 spline pto. The PTO Shaft that came with it is seized because it is all rusted up. Does anyone have a solution? I need a new pto that can attach to the snowblower with an 1 1/8" double key but then on the tractor end a 1 3/8 6 spline. See the pics of the PTO shaft and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

That double key fitting most likely goes into the shear coupling on the snowblower. The shear coupling is a snow blower part. if you don't have tht you'll need to get it and that would most likely come from a dealer.

You can get a new pto shaft at a a place that deals in drive lines if you are in a hurry. Otherwise, you have to remove the guards( look for a snap ring at the u-joint end)s and the use the "blue flame wrench" judiciously and a lot of penetrating oil to loosen the stuck shaft. There is usually a grease fitting on those shafts to allow greasing of the sliding joints.If there is pump a bumch of Grease in there can help.
It's hard to provide any more advise with a more detailed imspection of what you have.

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!!
Just added more pics for clarification on what I need. Can I take the implement yoke off the current PTO and swap with a new one to modify?

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #8  
looking at the pictures of the snowblower input shaft,
i can't see the 2nd keyway, is there one hidden on
the bottom not visible in the pic?

if not, you can probably get a single keyed yoke of
the right size.

yes, you can change yokes/crosses but it takes a little
time, and can be a little tricky for a novice.

did you try a little soaking or heat
to get the shaft freed up?

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #9  

All I see in your latest pictures is what I believe to be the input shaft to the blower gear box. Where is the driveline shear coupling? It should go on the blower input shaft between it and the pto driveshaft. The blower input shaft has only one keyway and that keys the shear coupling to the input shaft. The other half of the shear coupling with two keys into the pto.
You need that shear coupling to protect the tractor in the blower eats a big rock, a branch, kid's bike, etc. There should be another shear coupling on the auger drive.

/ Ber-Vac Snowblower PTO HELP!!!! #10  
On your Bervac there are 3 shear bolts.
Your auger si split with the gear box in center.
Th 2 auger shear bolts (5/16" grade 5) are located near the outer ends.
Be sure to grease the augers (note zerk nipples for each side)
The fan shear bolt is a grade 5 1/4" bolt located on a tab that aligns with a tab on the shaft.
I have the exact same 60 inch blower mounted on my 20 HP Mitsubishi and it has served me very well for the last 6 years, and that in heavy at times snows.
Bervac is located in Drummondwille here in Quebec.

The only real design flaw that I found is the supports for the fan blades are of very thin material and they rot away as paint never reached them.
That I corrected by replacing with 1/4" X 2" flat carefully cloned (for balance) and welded to replace the originals.

As to the PTO half shaft U need, it is a very common shaft and U only need the tractor half. If I recall the shaft is 1" X 1 1/8" square type.