caster wheels on plow

/ caster wheels on plow #1  

fatboyinmaine

Tractor
Kioti DK45SC
looking for some input on an idea i have for my plow, i want to mount heavy duty caster wheel with adjustable washers like the shoes. it seems to me they would work better than shoes, which gouge the ground. You can keep the plow an inch off the ground for plowing gravel roads and the plow would roll? ive seen them on larger plows. mine is a western 10 ft that was made into a 12ft, on a 1984 C-70., so its heavy and rips up my road until the ground freezes. any ideas? or pics

/ caster wheels on plow #2  
looking for some input on an idea i have for my plow, i want to mount heavy duty caster wheel with adjustable washers like the shoes. it seems to me they would work better than shoes, which gouge the ground. You can keep the plow an inch off the ground for plowing gravel roads and the plow would roll? ive seen them on larger plows. mine is a western 10 ft that was made into a 12ft, on a 1984 C-70., so its heavy and rips up my road until the ground freezes. any ideas? or pics

Do a search on wheels in this forum or gauge wheels in general and you will find lots of information on plowing gravel drives.

My FEL plow isn't as nearly as big as yours, but the shoes don't work well on unfrozen ground. I continue to look for a better solution, so will be interested in what you come up with.

/ caster wheels on plow #3  
You can purchase pneumatic casters from Mcmaster Carr and use some angle iron to attach them to the plow.

/ caster wheels on plow #4  
That is exactly what I did, years ago.

I can adjust the height by raising or lowering the FEL slightly. I can even put the blade down on to the ground when I plow a paved drive, by tilting it.

You should also add a Pipe to the bottom of the plow, this will also keep the edge from digging in.

If you weld a couple of tabs on a piece of steel pipe, (I used 1 1/2" pipe), you can bolt it to the bottom of the blade. (Use the bolt holes that hold the cutting edge on the plow). Don't waste your time cutting a slot in the pipe so it will fit over the the cutting edge, It is totally unnecessary.

This all works best if you pack down the first 3-4 inches of snow. Then, you can pretty much plow it all you want, and not move any gravel.

Attachments

• articulated snow plow 002.jpg
    articulated snow plow 002.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 5,537
   / caster wheels on plow
nice set up, i was hoping someone out there did this already, i was thinking of mounting the casters to a plate with a steel rod using the shoe mount hole with washers..thanks for the input and pics

/ caster wheels on plow #6  
nice set up, i was hoping someone out there did this already, i was thinking of mounting the casters to a plate with a steel rod using the shoe mount hole with washers..thanks for the input and pics

I am looking for a place to order frozen lobster tails as a gift, know anybody around there who is good?

/ caster wheels on plow #7  

I am searching for the same solution. I have a Frontier front blade that I want to pull the shoes off and insert same style with a roller. My use is on hard surface and don't want to score it up. Keep me posted on your solution.

/ caster wheels on plow
for Maine lobsters its best to look online for the best price, most places will ship anywhere.

/ caster wheels on plow
yes caster wheel like that or similar. how come the common pick up plow manufactures like fisher dont make a wheel kit using the same hole as the shoes? im still on the hunt for the right set up. thanks