Snow Equipment Owning/Operating DIY chute control

/ DIY chute control #1  

mpham

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B 2650 cab
Start with an ATV winch.(44 dollars on sale) Throw in 15 dollars worth of spring,bolts,cable parts and electrical goodies and voila!
ATVwinch.JPG.w300h224.jpg

Go here to see it work.
snowchute.MOV - YouTube

Not bad for 60 dollars and a few hours work. Sure is going to be better than trying to turn the handle threw the window.

/ DIY chute control #2  
Well Done Mpham,

Is the reason you have a spring return due to the winch being a gravity down winch?

:thumbsup::drool::licking:

/ DIY chute control
It is power in and out. I tried doing the cable wrap thing and the cables kept getting caught on each other. This way I only needed to use existing holes and the tab already on the chute. No other brackets or fabrication was needed.The spring works better and keeps the cable tight.

Last edited:
   / DIY chute control #4  
I did mine a little different but the end result is the same .Sure beats the hand crank. You have a nice looking set up.
IMG_0787.jpg

TGR

/ DIY chute control
Thanks. Both setups look great. Just goes to prove there is more than one way to skin a cat.

/ DIY chute control #7  
Start with an ATV winch.(44 dollars on sale) Throw in 15 dollars worth of spring,bolts,cable parts and electrical goodies and voila!
ATVwinch.JPG.w300h224.jpg

Go here to see it work.
snowchute.MOV - YouTube

Not bad for 60 dollars and a few hours work. Sure is going to be better than trying to turn the handle threw the window.

Oh I like it. This may be the best set up to match what I want to do that I have seen so far. Is that a Pronovost blower? Which winch did you buy for $44?? Do you have more/better pictures? I don't quite get how you attached the cable to the chute. So does the spring pul the chute back around or the cable?? If it gets bunged up with slush & ice is the spring going ot get stretched out? Many questions..:confused::D

/ DIY chute control #8  
Looked at it again. So the spring is pulling it counter clockwise when you spool out right? What happens with the spring gets all full of slush & ices up? Have you used this is the real world yet?
Not crapping on your design just don't want to copy it if it hasn't had a real world test season yet. ;)

/ DIY chute control
Haven't got to try it on a storm yet. It is a blizzard b52 blower. The winch goes to an atv and I got it at a discount store on sale. It should be far enough back from the chute to not get full of snow. That is why I put 12 inches of cable between the spring and chute.(time will tell if it works). Both cables hook with a pin on a boss that is already on the chute for there $$$ hydraulic hookup.

/ DIY chute control
Forgot to add. Yes spring pulls counter clockwise. I usually blow to the left all the time so that is why I mounted the spring on that side. If you blow more the other way my blower has the same bolt patterns on each side. Keep asking questions. I will try to get more pics posted this weekend. I hope to never try it out but when snow flys:mad: I will let everyone know how it worked.