Backup camera and remote control blockheater

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #1  

Rfisher7381

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Thought I would share a few things I've done to make my snow removal work easier.

1) I installed a block heater this fall on my BX2360. My barn is about 125ft from the house and I wanted a way to turn on the block heater an hour or so before I bundled up and headed out to the barn. I thought about a timer but didn't want to needlessly run it on day's when I wasn't going to blow snow. Next I looked at a temperature controlled plug adapter (found it on Amazon) but same issue that it would run needlessly when I didn't need to remove any snow. So I ended up with a remotely controlled switch (Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQRHMM/ref=oh_o06_s00_i01_details) and now I can look outside from the house and if I need to remove snow turn on the block heater from I side the house. Have a cup of coffee and when I go out to the barn it's ready to fire up.

2) I purchased a cheap car backup camera. I got mine from Advance Auto Parts. I used a 40% of coupon (www.slickdeals.net) so it cost around $50. Getting older so having to turn and look behind me a lot while snowplowing is somewhat painful. This should help reduce that a lot.

Now I'll probably find out you TBN folks have found much better solutions but that is good as I'll, once again, be able to learn from your experience!

Attachments

• image-2547023695.png
    image-2547023695.png
    885.6 KB · Views: 424
  • image-697979204.png
    image-697979204.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 431
  • image-2032500277.png
    image-2032500277.png
    801 KB · Views: 322
   / Backup camera and remote control blockheater #2  
That's a great idea. I like the monitor mounting location.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #3  
Yay!!!

I love it when a plan comes together! Do you have heat in the cab? The screen may not work well if you do not have heat as it is a liquid crystal display screen rather than a conventional television/gun type.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #4  
Great idea on the outdoor remote switch. I didn't even know these things existed but they make perfect sense. 150 feet seems like the max range. I'm going to try to locate one of these here as amazon.com won't ship to us in Canada. 150 feet will do it for me.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #5  
Can you tell me if that remote switch / outlet accepts a three prong plug or only two prongs?

I don't know if my block heater plug on my Kubota M7040 is two or three pronged. The one you got seems to have the maximum range and I found a seller on ebay who will ship it to Canada so I thought I'd grab it.

Unfortunately I'm away from the farm for the next four days. Would appreciate if you could let me know.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater
canoetrpr said:
Can you tell me if that remote switch / outlet accepts a three prong plug or only two prongs?

It is a three prong plug.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #7  
I use one of the remote switches. I find it useful to plug in an adapter between the heater cable and the outlet to accept a small light bulb, so I can see from the house if the switch made. The tractor's in an open shed facing the house. I have to aim through some bushes so if they're snow-covered the remote sometimes doesn't activate the switch.
Jim

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #8  
I was considering a backup camera for my rear snowblower as well. I wasn't sure if it would get snow covered or not. I have one on my Jeep and it works well, but I do have to wipe the lens off once in a while. Let me know how it works.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #9  
Great idea on the outdoor remote switch. I didn't even know these things existed but they make perfect sense. 150 feet seems like the max range. I'm going to try to locate one of these here as amazon.com won't ship to us in Canada. 150 feet will do it for me.

I don't know if you have ACE hardware stores up there, but that is where I got mine.

/ Backup camera and remote control blockheater #10  

I don't know if my block heater plug on my Kubota M7040 is two or three pronged. The one you got seems to have the maximum range and I found a seller on ebay who will ship it to Canada so I thought I'd grab it.

Unfortunately I'm away from the farm for the next four days. Would appreciate if you could let me know.

I wanted to do the same thing. I used x10 home automation to get it done. (X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More! or any of a 100 others). You replace the outlet that the power cord is plugged into with the x10 outlet and plug the controller into any outlet in the house. I changed 3 outside outlets at the front of my house and use them to control Christmas lights and one in shed to control the block heater on my tractor. The controller has a timer, so it turns the Christmas lights on and off every day and the block heater is manual, when ever it's needed. This is great because I have cords at different ends of the house and would have had to buy several timers and they never would have come on and off at the same time.