Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540 HTSC-3

Default Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.

I finally got around to finishing up the installation of my woods 72c snowblower. Its a beautiful unit but im concerned with one thing, its almost like the main gear sprocket on the auger is out of round or not running true, my chain slacks slightly for a second as it goes around and it prouduces an audible noise which you can also feel in the entire unit if its raised. How smoothly do the drives on your blowers work?
    2010 Kubota L3540 HTSC-3 w/R3's, 2002 John Deere X595, Woods GB72 Box Blade, Woods PL72 Core Aerator, Kubota Ballast Box, CL4 Forks, Befco 209 3pt Spreader 3pt Trailer hitch, JD spreader, JD Dethatcher, Jd Power Bagger, Stihl MS361, 024 saws, TS400 cut off, BR 380 blower and an Echo PPT 280 polesaw

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Default Re: Auger chain drive question for those with a blower.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix2001 View Post
    I finally got around to finishing up the installation of my woods 72c snowblower. Its a beautiful unit but im concerned with one thing, its almost like the main gear sprocket on the auger is out of round or not running true, my chain slacks slightly for a second as it goes around and it prouduces an audible noise which you can also feel in the entire unit if its raised. How smoothly do the drives on your blowers work?
    my old Farmking had no noticeable noise or deflection on the chain drive. Are you sure theres nothing wrong with the chain itself???
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    my old Farmking had no noticeable noise or deflection on the chain drive. Are you sure theres nothing wrong with the chain itself???
    Does sound like it's a link or so too long...or, there's an idler not functioning...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540 HTSC-3

Its tensioned properly with one idler but it acts like the main gear on the auger is out of round as the chain tensions and loosens as it rotates, im going to give it a closer look this pm.
    2010 Kubota L3540 HTSC-3 w/R3's, 2002 John Deere X595, Woods GB72 Box Blade, Woods PL72 Core Aerator, Kubota Ballast Box, CL4 Forks, Befco 209 3pt Spreader 3pt Trailer hitch, JD spreader, JD Dethatcher, Jd Power Bagger, Stihl MS361, 024 saws, TS400 cut off, BR 380 blower and an Echo PPT 280 polesaw

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Its tensioned properly with one idler but it acts like the main gear on the auger is out of round as the chain tensions and loosens as it rotates, im going to give it a closer look this pm.
    Have you contacted Woods Equipment on this? Or, if purchased from a dealer..have you talked to them?
    If you bought it used...well, the previous owner may have replaced the chain...

When you do look at it...see if the auger spins or rotates freely...might be binding or rubbing on something while it's turning (meaning maybe it's not slack in the chain but elsewhere in the drive line).
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti 3054xs TLB

I would suspect the chain needs lube. After mine sits for the summer, the bottom section of chain(from the auger sprocket back towards the drive sprocket)tightens noticeably. I lube it well with "Fluid Film" before storage, but it still rusts and tightens up over the summer. A good dose of the fluid film and a couple minutes run time and all's good
    2004 3054xs
    1231 FEL
    Markham tooth-bar
    2376 BH, 9 and 18 inch buckets
    DR PTO chipper
    Blizzard B74 sno-blower
    250 hrs

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Lube your chain up and run it at low speed for a bit and see if it improves. If it doesn't and if it's new, check with your dealer.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

I keep wondering what 'fluid film' is........

I oil mine (chain) with an oilcan and cheap motor oil.....
    A couple Kubota's
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by 5030 View Post
    I keep wondering what 'fluid film' is........

I oil mine (chain) with an oilcan and cheap motor oil.....
    Here you go:
    Fluid Film? | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

I know many Deere dealers sell it.
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Love me some fluid film for general protection/lubrication, and for stopping snow from sticking to stuff. For the chain I like to use motorcycle chain lube - comes in a spray can and sticks nicely to the chain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast