Snowblower No Distance

/ Snowblower No Distance
I looked at this closer today. I think the owner really chewed this thing through rock because I got one fin totally flipped the wrong direction and a couple other one are fairly flat instead of cupped in the direction of throwing snow. Out of four fins one is properly positioned.

I guess this explains a lot and also give me an item to really look at if I find a used one to purchase.

/ Snowblower No Distance #12  
My impeller is about 25" dia and the 3 blades are 6.25" deep.
007_1.JPG 009_1.JPG 008_1.JPG

/ Snowblower No Distance #13  
Since you stated that it looks like your neighbor has been through plenty of rocks/gravel I can pretty much guarantee the lack of performance is from the fan blade tips being worn down causing the gap between the fan blades and the housing to be too great and allowing snow to pass through.
My 64" Ber Vac has the same issue. I solved it with this kit. SNOWBLOWER IMPELLER KIT

/ Snowblower No Distance #14  
If it wont pick up a dime on the up stroke of the fan? Then the impeller wear is the problem. Only fix is to have it rebuilt and balanced. Or some guys will bolt on 3/8 thick rubber pieces to individual fan blades in order to compensate for the wear. That ones a cheaper fix, and, will probably have to be replaced yearly.

/ Snowblower No Distance #15  
I have found that snow quantity is a significant factor (keeping the blower loaded) for throw performance. That is usually not a problem here because we are usually moving 2 to 4 foot depths; a 6 inch snowfall is "kick aside" depth. I operate a Loftness 841S; a single flight 7 footer rated from 40 to 90 HP. Brand new the fan gap was at least 1/4" or better, and it easily throws 50 feet.

/ Snowblower No Distance #16  
I have found that snow quantity is a significant factor (keeping the blower loaded) for throw performance. That is usually not a problem here because we are usually moving 2 to 4 foot depths; a 6 inch snowfall is "kick aside" depth. I operate a Loftness 841S; a single flight 7 footer rated from 40 to 90 HP. Brand new the fan gap was at least 1/4" or better, and it easily throws 50 feet.

RFB- That was my thoughts when I was reading this thread. I'm running a Lucknow 8ft unit. It's got 1/4inch gap and throws the snow a good distance. I'm very pleased with it. I think having 4 blades on the fan is a plus.

/ Snowblower No Distance #17  
You could have that much air gap: Some manufacturers don't care! Also depends where you measure! Ideally however: On the fan upswing, exhaust side, the clearance should not be greater than a nickel thickness. The reason is: fan means to blow. These clearances also prevent rocks from binding / grinding in the fan shroud. I'm glad yours works: Volume feed is insignificant however! Now the older snow throwers required keeping the blower loaded. They were only single stage though! As long as it work for now right? The fellow I responded to? Didn't!

/ Snowblower No Distance #18  
Since you stated that it looks like your neighbor has been through plenty of rocks/gravel I can pretty much guarantee the lack of performance is from the fan blade tips being worn down causing the gap between the fan blades and the housing to be too great and allowing snow to pass through.
My 64" Ber Vac has the same issue. I solved it with this kit. SNOWBLOWER IMPELLER KIT

This author has common sense!

/ Snowblower No Distance #19  
Trick is not blowing snow on unpacked surfaces. Adams tractor in Spokane makes a skid shoe kit for gravel operation. It is wrapped / bent to fit the front of blowers grader blade. I is 6 inches wide, and goes beneath the blowers. Protrudes back behind the blower 4 to 12 inches: This varies on the blower size. Idea being that the blower will ride up and over most of the rocks / gravel. Some guys never grade their gravel driveways in the fall! This leaves the hump in the middle; Then when it snows they try to move that hump of frozen rock with the snow blower. They don't last long: No hard steel in them they are all manufactured using cold black steel.

/ Snowblower No Distance #20  
It would be costly to have repaired! The impeller should be removed, re fabricated or replaced if available? Might be 50 -75 % of replacement value!