Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2516HST

Default Snowblower No Distance

I have A Mahindra 2516HST and I borrowed a woods 60 from a neighbor who went to Florida for the winter. Although we have no snow up in Northern Maine we have a had a few opportunities to use the blower. We had a few inches of powder and the blower would only throw maybe 8 - 10' at the very most. I have the throttle at full 540rpm at the 3 point. The blower is freshly lubed.

Is this a common issue with woods. I'm watching YouTube videos and such and see people blowers throwing snow 30+ feet. I'm wondering if I can do anything or is this just how it is.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Default Re: Snowblower No Distance

Blowers work best when well fed!Wait until you get some real snow(none here yet?)and you will be impressed.Watch out for gravel until the ground is frozen,if you have a gravel drive.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540 HTSC-3

Quote Originally Posted by 2516hst View Post
    I have A Mahindra 2516HST and I borrowed a woods 60 from a neighbor who went to Florida for the winter. Although we have no snow up in Northern Maine we have a had a few opportunities to use the blower. We had a few inches of powder and the blower would only throw maybe 8 - 10' at the very most. I have the throttle at full 540rpm at the 3 point. The blower is freshly lubed.

Is this a common issue with woods. I'm watching YouTube videos and such and see people blowers throwing snow 30+ feet. I'm wondering if I can do anything or is this just how it is.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Is it an older woods? Does it have a 3 blade or 4 blade impeller? The older 3 blade woods blowers werent so great, but they do need a constant supply of snow. Also check the gap between the blades and the impeller housing around the discharge area, it should be 1/4" or preffereably less.
    2010 Kubota L3540 HTSC-3 w/R3's, 2002 John Deere X595, Woods GB72 Box Blade, Woods PL72 Core Aerator, Kubota Ballast Box, CL4 Forks, Befco 209 3pt Spreader 3pt Trailer hitch, JD spreader, JD Dethatcher, Jd Power Bagger, Stihl MS361, 024 saws, TS400 cut off, BR 380 blower and an Echo PPT 280 polesaw

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Yeah it is because it is not full of snow. Another thing that will happen when you don't have enough snow is you end up getting whitewashed, covered with a dusting of snow blowing out of the snowblower.

I have a 2615 HST (same as yours basically) that I bought used up in Eagle Lake a few years ago.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have"
    "The best things in life,...aren't things"

Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

The question is how far do you really need to throw the snow.
    Yes it is great fun to have a rooster tail of snow landing in the next county, but is it necessary?
    Just wait until you try to blow WET SNOW you will be HAPPY if it clears the end of the chute without plugging up.

Craig Clayton

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC33D w/supersteer and loader

Snowblower No Distance-snowblower1-jpgForce feeding my Lorenz blower.
    NH TC33D, Lorenz 5ft blower, KK 60" tiller, Kubota RTV900, Stihl 026, 029, 361, 460, Husqvarna 2100cd, 261, Speeco 25t splitter, Cub Cadet 982, Deere x744

I live in the southern part of the "County". Haven't had enough snow to blow.
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Tractor
    Mahindra 2516HST

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix2001
    Is it an older woods? Does it have a 3 blade or 4 blade impeller? The older 3 blade woods blowers werent so great, but they do need a constant supply of snow. Also check the gap between the blades and the impeller housing around the discharge area, it should be 1/4" or preffereably less.
    Ya it is an older woods with 4 blades actually. I bought the tractor over in Caribou this past summer and love it. I didn't get a chance to buy a blower before winter so a friend graciously loaned me his. I had found a few new model Woods blowers on Craig's List that I almost bought but waited until I could see how I like this one. I'm not looking to necessarily throw it 40 feet but it would be nice to at least get it over a couple tractor widths to either side.

Maybe the newer models are geared differently? Does the blade turn to the same RPM as the PTO or is it geared? I'm not sure how far the auger is from the blade. I guess the real test will come when we get some real snow and not these dustings that we've been getting.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC33D w/supersteer and loader

I saw a used woods blower before I bought my lorenz and noticed the impeller was about the same diameter but the blades were not very wide. My blades are 2 to 3 times wider(deep).
    The Lorenz can blow snow great but it really eats HP too so you have to be careful on how fast you feed it.
    Last edited by ruffdog; 01-02-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    NH TC33D, Lorenz 5ft blower, KK 60" tiller, Kubota RTV900, Stihl 026, 029, 361, 460, Husqvarna 2100cd, 261, Speeco 25t splitter, Cub Cadet 982, Deere x744

Tractor
    Bolens Iseki 344

If you look at the Woods diagram you'll see that the transmission has a through shaft with the fan mounted on it--so it is running at PTO speed. The auger power is geared off the side of that shaft, then through the sprocket/chain lash-up to give it a reduced rpm. Good luck.

DrMac

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast