Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030 #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
My Kubota B3030 HSDC tractor came with a B2782 snowblower with a manual chute deflector pictured below:

original-chute-deflector.jpg

Although I live in the boondocks, it is still nice to change the angle of the chute periodically. Getting out of the tractor and doing it manually is a pain so most of the time when I would like to change the angle, I would just use it the way it was.

I had seen others on this forum construct their own methods of controlling the chute deflector angle from within the cab. WayneB gave me some specific information on where to get the critical parts needed to build one like this and here is the result. I probably spent $125 on parts (actuator, DP/DT switch, wire, bolts, washers, fuses and fuse holder).

I spent more time running wire than on any other part of the process and it was 25 degrees out but I did have my kerosene salamander to keep me a bit warm. I probably spent 4 hours on installing eveything with my wife's help at times. The actuator has a 4" stroke although I could get by with less. The mount on the chute seems a little flimsy with a little vibration, but there really isn't much stress, so I think it will work. I did put a fuse in the system with the unit directly wired to the battery. It would be nice to not have the wire hanging lose, but you need some slack. In any event it is working very well so far with two snowblowing episodes since I installed it.

chute-deflector1.jpg

CHUTE OPENED TO MINIMUM
chute-closed.jpg

CHUTE OPENED TO MAXIMUM
chute-open.jpg

DP/DT MOMENTUM SWITCH ON LEVER SHROUD
deflector-switch.jpg

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030 #2  
That'll work, and you can always clean up the wire installation to your satisfaction this summer.

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030 #3  
Fantastic!

How about an itemized parts list with hints on where to get the unique items?

Why did you locate the switch on the left hand side of the cabin?

Thanks,

N. Fowler

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030
I bought the 3.93" STROKE 107 LB. 12 VDC LINEAR ACTUATOR from Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More for $85. On the same webpage is listed the DPDT-CO 30 AMP MOMENTARY TOGGLE SWITCH which cost $9.50. Be sure you purchase the momentary switch.

I bought the wire, bolts to mount the actuator, fuse assembly locally. I have a kit with wire connectors. The actuator came with a connector which is often used in cars but is pretty bulky. I snipped it off and used simply, small connectors which I could wrap up with tape to protect from the weather.

I put the switch on the left side because the wire harness for the tractor comes in on that side and I attached the wires for this unit to the main wire harness. I am also left handed.

The official electric chute deflector from Kubota is about $1,000 with the switch mounting on top of the joystick.

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030 #5  
I bought the 3.93" STROKE 107 LB. 12 VDC LINEAR ACTUATOR from Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More for $85. On the same webpage is listed the DPDT-CO 30 AMP MOMENTARY TOGGLE SWITCH which cost $9.50. Be sure you purchase the momentary switch.

I bought the wire, bolts to mount the actuator, fuse assembly locally. I have a kit with wire connectors. The actuator came with a connector which is often used in cars but is pretty bulky. I snipped it off and used simply, small connectors which I could wrap up with tape to protect from the weather.

I put the switch on the left side because the wire harness for the tractor comes in on that side and I attached the wires for this unit to the main wire harness. I am also left handed.

The official electric chute deflector from Kubota is about $1,000 with the switch mounting on top of the joystick.

Congrats on a great job...and THANK YOU for the detail on the build. I watched your YouTube video and noticed the actuator set up right away. I had the dealer install the hydraulic chute rotator (?) at the time I bought my machine, not thinking about the deflector. Knowing the cost of hydraulics and other dealer installed toys, I figured I could get by without it. Watching the video though, and now the price for parts, that'll be the next on the 'to do list'.

:thumbsup:

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030 #6  
Smfcpacfp,

Thanks for the specifics and for sharing the details of your great job! It is greatly appreciated.

Here's a thread that discusses problems with water intrusion into the actuator.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...884-2360-electric-chute-deflector-frozen.html

There it is suggested to either rig a cover or mount the actuator upside down to prevent freezing and/or internal rusting.

Do you think your specific actuator is sufficiently weather protected to prevent this or is this a potential problem downstream?

Thanks again,

N. Fowler

/ Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030 #7  
I bought a rubber cover from the place I bought my actuator from and also bought a car strut boot to cover the actuator shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 649
   / Electric chute deflector for Kubota B3030
Smfcpacfp,

Thanks for the specifics and for sharing the details of your great job! It is greatly appreciated.

Here's a thread that discusses problems with water intrusion into the actuator.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...884-2360-electric-chute-deflector-frozen.html

There it is suggested to either rig a cover or mount the actuator upside down to prevent freezing and/or internal rusting.

Do you think your specific actuator is sufficiently weather protected to prevent this or is this a potential problem downstream?

Thanks again,

N. Fowler

The unit I bought states that it is weather proof and it certainly looks so. I was going to put some silicone sealant around the joints before I installed it but I forgot. Mounting it upside down would be easy for me and I may do that this summer. My tractor is stored inside and I did wipe it off before I was done.