Snow Attachments Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower

/ Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower #1  

JunkManBob

Tractor
Troy-Bilt LT1842
Does anyone have a "junk" MTD/Troy-Bilt/Cub Cadet 42" two stage snow thrower with a good undercarriage assembly, or know a dealer/repair center that might? I'd like to buy if so.
I got a "good deal" at an auction last year on a Troy-Bilt LT1842 (~2002) with attachments, including an "190-823-101" two stage snow thrower. Not as good a deal as I thought, once I discovered that there was an "undercarriage assembly" for the snow blower that was missing. Checked with the seller later to see if he had it. Said he was selling it for an older neighbor, who hadn't used the blower in years. No sign of it. So, checked a number of dealers and repair centers (Altaquip, Jacks) to see if they had junk. Seems not. No junkyards for this stuff, I guess. Asked about the assembly, new. It's just a pan and pulleys, so how much could that be? Well, MTD/Troy-Bilt/Cub Cadet/(20 more names) doesn't sell the assembly. You can only get it as individual parts. And just the metal pan is about $200. So new would be half as much as a whole new snowblower attachment.
So, I'm thinking of adding a hydro pump, tank, valve, and motor to run it, and have it about figured out. But that's a lot of effort and still a lot of money.
Hate to do that, if someone has some parts they'd like to sell used. Win-Win.
I've been looking on ebay, but no luck. Haven't used CL before, but guess I'll check there too. I put a "wantitnow" post on ebay, but I'm not sure anyone sees those much.
Anyone got junk?

Attachments

• Missing undercarriage assembly.JPG
    Missing undercarriage assembly.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 727
  • Undercarriage Assembly 2.JPG
    Undercarriage Assembly 2.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,258
  • _1312505519663.png
    _1312505519663.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_6594.JPG
    IMG_6594.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 464
   / Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower #2  
Just happen to have one laying under the welding table. here are pix of it and what I did with the snow blower.
Pm me.

John

Attachments

• DCP_0045.JPG
    DCP_0045.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 685
  • DCP_0046.JPG
    DCP_0046.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 516
  • DCP_0047.JPG
    DCP_0047.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
   / Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower
John, thanks for the quick response on the MTD undercarriage I'm scavenging for.
I think I'm getting this from you, thanks for the great price. But still looking for an exact match, too.
Your pulley pan looks like it might be missing one of the four mounting "legs" and a side extension that holds an idler pulley on the original design. I attached a copy of your pic with those spots circled in red. I can weld on the needed metal if necessary, if no one else has the exact match. Getting all the holes in the right spots shouldn't be too hard. If I end up with two, a few good spare parts never hurt a JunkMan.
They have changed the design a time or two over the years. I think mine is from 2002 or so, and the tractor has the old style "manual PTO".

Snow seems to be scarce (here) this year, so far. But the last time we got 30 inches, it was into February. Five houses on 1800 ft of gravel road with only one walk behind snowblower between us got old that year.

Nice job on the 4 wheeler blower. What HP engine did you use? Looks pretty good size there.
(John already answered "Its powered with a 16hp honda knock off motor. pulleyed to run a 900 rpm.")
Thanks.
I'm still looking for the exact match, if there's one laying around somewhere.

Attachments

• DCP_0046 marked bj.JPG
    DCP_0046 marked bj.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 720
   / Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower #4  
Did you ever find an undercarriage? I have done the samething.

/ Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower #5  
Do you still have the undercarraige? I'm missing one for my mtd snowblower.
thanks Jim

/ Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower #6  
Looking for a undercarriage assembly plate for OEM-190-823 snow blower by MDT it fits lots of different machines
a used one would be great anyone one have one
New item #683-0306A-0637

thanks

/ Undercarriage assembly for MTD/Troy-Bilt 42" two stage snow blower
Alabaster,
Sorry for no answer till now. I didn't see this till just now, not sure why. I had already bought the cut-up undercarriage from John LB, above, before your post, though. Thanks, John, by th way. I just got it up and running this winter, and used it for a couple of minor 8 inchers to test it out. Works great but I had to buy quite a few parts, some for the undercarriage, and some to replace all the cables, had been cut (must have saved someone at least a few minutes when they took it apart before I bought it at an auction). Had to figure out that the lower belt that was spec'd in the Troy-Bilt manual and that I had received with the blower (a 115"x1/2") was a few inches too short. Nearly impossible to get it on, and then the tensioner couldn't be used, spring wouldn't reach. Once I switched to a 117" belt, all good (well, except for the gravel road - it throws gravel real well). I need wider skids than the factory ones. I forgot to take a picture of it working for the record, to update this thread.
Going into this detail in case anyone else has trouble with the lower belt being way too tight.
And, because there are 2 others (jimej and MicYoc) on here (below) looking for an undercarriage. Looks like they posted to the thread, not as a reply to you, so not sure if you would have been aware. If you still have one available, you may have a buyer. If not, thanks for the offer and good luck to you two on your search. JunkManBob out.