Snow blower questions

/ Snow blower questions #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
I have a snow blower, and it is picking up a lot of rocks. If I tilt it back more it just pushes the snow. What am I missing here?
Also when the snow starts to melt, or it rains on top of the snow, it just clogs it up with ice in the chute. Anything to do on that? or just go back to the blade?

Thanks
Doug

/ Snow blower questions #2  
Ideally you want to let the snow pack freeze
to use the snow caster without having to deal
with the rocks.

If your snow caster has adjustable skids you can
lower them all the way to down to reduce the digging
and gouging.

You can use Fluid Film or a cheap cooking spray or water proof
silicone spray to spray a film of the fluid every where to prevent sticking.

/ Snow blower questions
it does not get that cold, or stay cold that long here. I live between Portland Or. and Seattle Wa. So it is a few day event, but it gets to be more than a rear blade can handle. So I bought this to try and get in and out of the place.

I will try the cooking spray thing...

/ Snow blower questions #4  
I have a snow blower, and it is picking up a lot of rocks. If I tilt it back more it just pushes the snow. What am I missing here?
Also when the snow starts to melt, or it rains on top of the snow, it just clogs it up with ice in the chute. Anything to do on that? or just go back to the blade?

Thanks
Doug

Is this a two-stage with feed auger or single stage V-type blower?

I always adjusted my top-link so the wear skids where parallel to the ground. If you are just pushing snow and this is a two-stage with auger, did the auger drive shear a pin? This would turn it into a snow pusher Vs snow blower.

Never had an issue with rocks in gravel drive, just tree branches, etc. buried in the snow.

Roy

/ Snow blower questions #5  
I agree with the comments above. Get the skid shoes lowered down so that your scraper edge is not dragging on the gravel. Also, level the blower in accordance with the shoes.

Is this a 3pt. blower.??

You need to expect picking up some gravel as you are blowing if the ground is not frozen. It's really no big deal. My blower handles this sort of thing with grace. I've yet to shear a pin and it has thrown some pretty good sized rocks.

I can't imagine going back to a blade after using the blower. I've been blowing snow for 20+ years. I love a blower.

Do you have any previous experience with a snowblower.?? Sounds like you have to get used to the task and what it involves. Give it a chance.

/ Snow blower questions
Yes it is a 3 pt. and a 2 stage. Maybe it is too much of a blower for my area, but after the major snow that we got a few years ago, we decided to get it.
This is the first time I have really tried to use it.

Maybe I am also going too slow? and down hill? Would I have better luck if I went to high range, and tried up the hill instead of down?
I am looking for how to get it set up the best. I do not think our snow is over....
Thanks..

/ Snow blower questions #7  
Maybe I am also going too slow? and down hill? Would I have better luck if I went to high range, and tried up the hill instead of down?
I am looking for how to get it set up the best. I do not think our snow is over....
Thanks..

To slow is possible, blowers work best with a steady flow of snow being fed into them. Rule of thumb is try to adjust your speed so the snow is just being picked up and fed in without pushing a mound in front of the augers. Uphill vs downhill. Blower shouldn't care unless the hill is so steep it pushes or slides in front of the blower when going down. Don't think I would want to try going up that hill though.

Can you have a knowledgeable friend watch the blower as you try and use it. It is quite often easier for a person on the ground to watch the blowers angle in elation to the ground. They may also notice that some thing else doesn't look quite right.

PacNW, you may also get heavy wet snow which is more prone to pushing and plugging, here again try and keep a steady stream of snow, this reduces the tendency to plug.

Good luck

Roy

/ Snow blower questions #8  
No, you are not going too slow.

There is very little set-up involved with these blowers. So, no, it's not that either.

How much snow are you trying in to blow...how deep.??

Are your rpm's up to snuff.??(540)

Are you able to exit the seat to get a look at the blower with it up to speed.?? If not, use a bungee cord to "strap down" the seat so that you can give the blower a look from behind...DON"T even get near the blower...Understood.?? DO NOT get close to the blower. And, DO NOT walk past the chute.!!

Where as your original problem refered to picking up gravel, I am thinking you may have a sheared pin.

We are here to help. Keep the questions coming and more importantly, keep the answers from our questions coming..

These blowers are THE ticket to ride. You should be loving your blower. Let's get to the bottom of this.

Now, I have 9" of the fluufy stuff outside my door RIGHT NOW.!! It's a beautiful morning in Maine. Can you say...Seat Time.??....with the blower...It's going to be a joy.!!:thumbsup:

/ Snow blower questions #9  
Every spring I spend a fair amount of time (at my wife's insistence!) picking rocks off the lawn. With the first couple of snows of the season, before the ground is well-frozen, its hard to avoid shooting some rocks. I have special problems with the transition of my driveway from flat to sloped...where the blower tries to dig in. Also, I re-gravel my drive every five to seven years and the problem is worst for a year or two after that, before the loose rocks get pressed/packed down into the surface.
I'd say in coastal Oregon the surface will never freeze into a hardpack, so that won't work. The best you can hope for may be setting the skids as high as possible and just living with the inch or so of leftover scum of snow.
I'll often blow as much as I can, then do a final forward drag using the blower like a plow; this isn't a good move just before a hard freeze, though...it just creates a nice, smooth driveway skating rink.
BOB

/ Snow blower questions #10  
Every spring I spend a fair amount of time (at my wife's insistence!) picking rocks off the lawn. With the first couple of snows of the season, before the ground is well-frozen, its hard to avoid shooting some rocks. I have special problems with the transition of my driveway from flat to sloped...where the blower tries to dig in. Also, I re-gravel my drive every five to seven years and the problem is worst for a year or two after that, before the loose rocks get pressed/packed down into the surface...oh,yeah, the crown in the drive also gets scalped some!
I'd say in coastal Oregon the surface will never freeze into a hardpack, so that "solution" won't work too well. The best you can hope for may be setting the skids as high as possible and just living with the inch or so of leftover scum of snow.
I'll often blow as much as I can, then do a final forward drag using the backside of the blower like a blade; I've found this isn't a good move just before a hard freeze, though...it just creates a nice, smooth driveway skating rink.
BOB