Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders?

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #1  

tmajor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2010 MF 1529, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower sickle bar circa 1963
I've got a Meyer plow with an E47 pump. While I've never had problems before, this year, I do!

After I angle the plow to the left, against the stop, it won't angle right. I've found, that the right cylinder (pushes blade to left angle) continues to have pressure on it. The only way, which I can relieve the pressure is to open the line in one manner or another. I've changed the quick coupling and O-rings on the "C" cartridge. The plow will angle normally, unless I run it to the left stop. There does seem to be a slight attempt for the plow to go left, when I hit the switch for right, which I think may be caused by the "C" valve opening and allowing the air to kick it left, briefly.

My guess, at this point, is that there is air in the right cylinder.

If nobody, thinks otherwise, what is the best way to bleed the cylinder.

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #2  
I've got a Meyer plow with an E47 pump. While I've never had problems before, this year, I do!

After I angle the plow to the left, against the stop, it won't angle right. I've found, that the right cylinder (pushes blade to left angle) continues to have pressure on it. The only way, which I can relieve the pressure is to open the line in one manner or another. I've changed the quick coupling and O-rings on the "C" cartridge. The plow will angle normally, unless I run it to the left stop. There does seem to be a slight attempt for the plow to go left, when I hit the switch for right, which I think may be caused by the "C" valve opening and allowing the air to kick it left, briefly.

My guess, at this point, is that there is air in the right cylinder.

If nobody, thinks otherwise, what is the best way to bleed the cylinder.

Is the reservoir full?????????????????????????

If the solenoids are working properly and the reservoir is full and you have ruled them(the solenoids) out entirely;
disconnect the right cylinder completely with it fully extended and add oil to the cylinder if it is empty by removing the hose fitting then reistall the fitting and then reinstall it on the plow and try it again if it does not work the solenoid or both solenoids are the problem.

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders?
Reservoir is full. I removed the coupling, put the end of the line in the oil bottle and worked the cylinder back and forth manually, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

I'll try manually filling the cylinder tomorrow ... with it standing vertically.

Thanks.

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #4  
If it was air it would compress until enough oil got into the cylinder to make it move. It sounds like the angle valve is getting stuck or your relief valve kicks in and stays open. After you go all the way to the left and hit the stop can you raise the blade? I'm assuming that the relief valve is common to both valves so it would be a way to test the relief valve. Other than that I would suggest rebuilding the angle valve.

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #5  
Check C solenoid for magneism with screwdriver. Have someone hold togle switch to the right. Do you hear motor noise when trying to angle right?

Check C solenoid for magneism with screwdriver. Have someone hold togle switch to the right. Do you hear motor noise when trying to angle right?

Have magnetism on "C" solenoid .. motor runs.

I think, the sign, that the right cylinder has air, is that there is pressure in the line, with nothing running >> the quick connect can't be released until the line is opened and the pressure is released.

I'll post an update, after I've addressed that issue.

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #7  
the quick connect can't be released until the line is opened and the pressure is released.

Can't you just take a wrench to the hose end and loosen it enough until some fluid seeps out along with any trapped air?

Can't you just take a wrench to the hose end and loosen it enough until some fluid seeps out along with any trapped air?

Yes, that will allow for the blade to angle right, but as soon as I angle left, to the stops, it freezes up again. The air doesn't seem to escape .. just fluid.

/ Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #9  
If your only getting fluid out when you crack the line chances are there isnt any air.
I have changed many angle cylinders and have only ever had to angle blade back and forth a few times to bleed air. I will bet there is something stuck in the valve. Just because the solinoid energizes doesnt mean its pulling open the valve. You may need to dig alittle deeper than the solinoid.

Also, (Not 100% sure) but I think when trying to angle, two valves need to operate not just one. It has been a long time since working on plow pumps.

Brian

Last edited:
   / Meyer E47 pump .. how to best bleed angle cylinders? #10  
If you can, change the C solenoid, even if you swap with a friends whose plow works just to eliminate the solenoid.