Snow Attachments snow blower question

/ snow blower question #1  

Mean Jean

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L1801 and Massey 65
I am able to move my snow blower closer/further from the rear of the tractor using 4 different pin placements.

Question
How will moving it closer to the rear of the tractor change the handling?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Springfield-20120127-00235.jpg
    Springfield-20120127-00235.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 344
   / snow blower question #2  
I am able to move my snow blower closer/further from the rear of the tractor using 4 different pin placements.

Question

Thanks all.

If you move it closer the problem/worry is bending and breaking the PTO shaft and gear box when it is much lower than ground level as the PTO shaft compresses in length when it is lowered below ground level,

and the resulting damage and expense is costly. The geometry of the blower and tractor will be fine the way it is so no worries.

The pin placements and adjustable arms are there to allow the owner to use different PTO shafts to avoid buying new ones and to allow the snow caster to be used on different prime movers/tractors (due strictly to the height of the centerline of the Tractor or implement carriers PTO stub shaft centerline.

Your fine with it, no worries, dont change anything as you will create havoc with the drive train by reducing the arm mounting length of the snow caster.

/ snow blower question
Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I just finished changing my chute rotator to electric.
The toggle switch is mounted on the motor which is an inch too far to reach from the seat.
I moved the blower arm towards the tractor by 1 slot, so as to reach the switch better.
The pto shaft will not bottom out, it still has about 3 inches before it gets to that point.

My primary concern was if/how changing this would affect the driving.

/ snow blower question #4  

The toggle switch is mounted on the motor which is an inch too far to reach from the seat.
I moved the blower arm towards the tractor by 1 slot, so as to reach the switch better.
The pto shaft will not bottom out, it still has about 3 inches before it gets to that point.

Its more a case of control rather than handling Jean. As long as your lower links are tight AND square the handling will not change.

You would benefit from a pair of steel caster wheels or pnuematic tires to avoid digging into the ground when turning in any case.

/ snow blower question #5  

Question

Thanks all.

Because I had to shorten my PTO shaft anyway I moved my blower two holes (4 inches) closer to the tractor. In my cases this improved the overall performance,due mostly to the fact that my blower is at the top end of my tractor capacity.( 60 in.blower Bx22 Tractor) The improved reaction/lift/lower of the blower is a great improvement. The change also shortens the unit overall length,which just makes it a bit handier.
IMG_0957.jpg

TGR

/ snow blower question #6  

Notwithstanding the effect of the three point geometry on the pto shaft loads, the closer to the tractor you move the blower the more you transfer weight to the front wheels. If you have a very heavy blower and place the blower far from the tractor, the down force on the front wheels becomes smaller. This can make steering somewhat problematic in icy conditions. Keep the blower as close to the tractor as possible within the constraints of not damaging the pto shaft and it will help the steering situation.

The alternative is more front end weight

Last edited:
   / snow blower question #7  
Mean Jean,
I used the holes to move the blower closer to the tractor, reason being is I use a quick hitch that pushed the blower back. I had to make sure that I had the recommended overlap on the drive shaft before using. With the blower off the tractor, slide the pto shaft to it's shortest length and measure it. Then extend it to it's maximum length (just before it becomes two pieces) and measure it. Install the blower on the tractor and measure the pto shaft, ideally you would like to run the blower with the pto shaft at half overlap. You could then determine which of the hole choices best suit your setup.

/ snow blower question #8  
I beg to differ: That adjustment is a manufacturers design to multi-fit varying wheel height tractors. Rule of thumb: ALWAYS... ALWAYS set your machine implements to be as close as possible to the tractor. Why? Less stress on your 3-point draft arms (1): (2) the closer the weight to the rear wheels will require less front end counter weight. (3) Finally the drive shaft will be under less stress. All that is required is enough free travel in the slip yoke to allow for the range of motion up and down. Be sure to fix your side sway chains and tighten the jam nuts. In short, YES! handling will be much improved. Hope this makes sense to those who don't really know?