Snow Attachments Conversoin to FEL PTO driven?

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven? #1  

Chaostamer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 w/ FEL & Kubota M6040 w FEL
I have been poking around on the site and learned a ton about snow throwers/blowers. However, I am curious whether one can convert a PTO 3 pt snow thrower (old Farm King) to a front mount on a FEL while running off the PTO. I know you can get a conversion kit to front mount the snowblower but that seems limiting in the height it can travel. I am trying to find the most economical way to move forward rather than backward (literally and figuratively). Any ideas?

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven? #2  
I would say not cost effective.
Rear runs 500RPM
Front runs at crankshaft speed or best at 1000 rpm
Generally front is not same rotation as PTO.

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven?
CAgnoli - thanks for the link. In fact Lorenz and Erskine have a similar system. I am not sure if the RPMs are lost in the process. The systems have a 3 pt style connection in the front which severely hampers the height you can get the blower to. I wanted to run this system but hook up the blower to my FEL which gives me much greater flexibility.

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven? #5  
You will need a hydraulic power pack and will have to
convert the snow caster to hydraulic operation which
is a lot of money for one implement use.

A lot of folks use truck mirrors and rear view cameras to
reduce fatigue. Can your seat swivel to the right to aid in
operating?

The only other real option you have is to modify
a Bercomac motorised snow caster BUT they will
make the loader very light in the rear end.

leonz said:
You will need a hydraulic power pack and will have to
convert the snow caster to hydraulic operation which
is a lot of money for one implement use.

A lot of folks use truck mirrors and rear view cameras to
reduce fatigue. Can your seat swivel to the right to aid in
operating?

The only other real option you have is to modify
a Bercomac motorised snow caster BUT they will
make the loader very light in the rear end.

I am not trying to convert to a hydraulic system. The reason I am asking this question is building a hydraulic system seems expensive to me, not to mention that I would need a different thrower and I would not be able to attach anything else to the 3 pt system. I was hoping to run a kit like from Lorenz to the front and then attach my current thrower on the FEL instead of their mechanism.

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven? #7  
problem is the pto shaft if you put it on the loader. maybe you could somehow limit how high you lift your loader but think about the potential issues you are going to have.....

Have you ever been around pto shafts at long lengths and high angles???

id say forget it.....

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven? #8  
CAgnoli - thanks for the link. In fact Lorenz and Erskine have a similar system. I am not sure if the RPMs are lost in the process. The systems have a 3 pt style connection in the front which severely hampers the height you can get the blower to. I wanted to run this system but hook up the blower to my FEL which gives me much greater flexibility.

There is no third choice.

Short of a pony engine on the blower.

hanson1999 said:
problem is the pto shaft if you put it on the loader. maybe you could somehow limit how high you lift your loader but think about the potential issues you are going to have.....

Have you ever been around pto shafts at long lengths and high angles???

id say forget it.....

Hanson - Thanks for the thoughts on length and angle. My thought was to limit the height by not raising it too high myself. But we all know how those limits work out - or should I say not work out.

/ Conversoin to FEL PTO driven? #10  
chaostamer, if the blower doesn't lift as high as you want all you have to do is lengthen the arms and maybe a longer cyclinder. You would have to extend the shafts too which means more wear and more chances of U joint failure.