Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Default Re: Snowblowing rules of thumb

I live in the boondocks with my nearest neigbors house a couple of football fields away, so I don't have to worry about disturbing my neighbors with snowblowing issues and my newspaper goes in the newspaper box, so I don't have some of the issues that you guys face.

Terry, you gave me a great idea. I never thought to use my air compressor to clean off the blower when finished. I keep it right by my pole building door that I bring the tractor in. I keep it about 10 feet from my tractor. I will definitely use it the next time. Our snow is usually fairly dry. Last night and today we had 8" of snow when the temperature was in the low teens, so the air compressor would have worked just fine.

I wouldn't enjoy snowblowing as much I do if I had an open station tractor and a rear blower.

Tractor
    Kubota B3200

To prevent freezing of the 2nd stage, I clean it out as best as I can and then I spray Prestone De-Icer into the drum. Have not had a problem since.

Those who are new to snow blowing will also let the box fill up before engaging the auger, resulting in early shear pin replacement. Lots of fun when the box is packed with wet snow.

Change the chute direction before passing the windows of your house. Was watching the neighbor use his walk behind unit when he launched a frozen newspaper through his dining room window once.

Always use the wind to your advantage, you will stay drier.
    Fir Na Dli

Tractor
    LS 5020c

What is the consensus on dragging the snowblower to pack down the snow in a gravel driveway the first storm?. I have always done this but dont know how many other do..I also keep a few paths packed down in the woods for the wife to walk on. I do the same thing there just raise the snowblower a bit when i start to get hung up..

I also leave my tractor outside and dont clean off the snowblower ..I rarely need to knock any ice off to free it up..

From today's small 15 cm storm..not sure if it will work..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=347582875264536

Tractor
    Jinma 254 - 08

ay66v:
    My personal snow blowing rule: No cab, no snow blower.

I believe God created snow plows just for that reason.

I have that setup and working on making a shield in the back. It's not safe to be sitting there and waiting for the rocks to hit you.

Tractor
    MF GC2410TLB

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    My personal snow blowing rule: No cab, no snow blower.

I believe God created snow plows just for that reason.
    I will add some heat to your statement: No cab, no heater, no snow blower, . KC
    2009 MF GC2410TLB; Sims Cab; MF 2360 Snow Blower; MF 2340 Dozer Blade; Woods HC54 rotary rear cutter. Frontier 48" BB. KC

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Quote Originally Posted by koopster View Post
    Make sure the neighbors cat is in! Shot snow over the bank and low and behold a grey streak came up over the bank as it was being pelted by the blown snow. Guess the cat was hiding behind the bank from the tractor!
    Could've been worse. My blower would eat a Labrador without a hiccup.

OTOH, I have buried my kids with a stream of blown snow...on purpose, of course.

JayC

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Quote Originally Posted by smfcpacfp View Post
    As I contemplate the possible need to get the snowblower out tomorrow, I have developed some snow blowing "rules of thumb" over the years that some of you newbies to snow blowing may want to consider. I figure that I have moved about 5,700 inches of snow with my three snow blowing rigs over the last 29 years. Snowblowing is my favorite winter activity, now that IO have a heated cab. Feel free to add to my list, I am always looking for new techniques:
    Good post! Mostly old news for me, but great to put it out there.

I think I might've learned the "clean it off when your done" rule from you last year. I have yet to have a freeze-up condition, but I could see it happen.

I'd like to re-iterate the "clean up the driveway BEFORE the first snow" concept - that is the one most ignored, and probably the most important. I have a long drive and a couple of fairly large parking areas - I make sure that there is nothing that I wouldn't want sucked through my blower w/in 5 feet of the drive/parking edges.

I'd also add: Don't chop your throttle before the blower clears. If you do, it can pack up, break all your shear pins, then will turn into a 600# block of concrete filling every crevasse of your blower - which turns into a half hour with a pick before you can get going again - and that doesn't count changing the shear pins. Every shear pin I've broken so far was broken by doing this.

JayC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn0105x-jpg  

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

I do that here to make roads for logging in the winter. Makes a nice smooth hardpack trail. I don't do it on the driveway as it needs to sit overnight to harden up. I just try to plow the first few snows to move the rocks away.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicjeeper View Post
    What is the consensus on dragging the snowblower to pack down the snow in a gravel driveway the first storm?. I have always done this but dont know how many other do..I also keep a few paths packed down in the woods for the wife to walk on. I do the same thing there just raise the snowblower a bit when i start to get hung up..

I also leave my tractor outside and dont clean off the snowblower ..I rarely need to knock any ice off to free it up..

Christopher West's Photos | Facebook

Feb 12, 2012 9:31am | Facebook

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Quote Originally Posted by toxicjeeper View Post

Christopher West's Photos | Facebook

Feb 12, 2012 9:31am | Facebook
    I enjoyed your movie, but you have something we don't have here - pink snow!

Tractor
    MF 1529

Jay- where are your tire chains?

I'd add to the list of snow-blowing rules to refill the fuel when you are finished. I like the CLEAN IT OFF part, but getting the fuel refilled will make the next trip nicer [and less chance of drawing moisture into the tank!]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast