Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb
I live in the boondocks with my nearest neigbors house a couple of football fields away, so I don't have to worry about disturbing my neighbors with snowblowing issues and my newspaper goes in the newspaper box, so I don't have some of the issues that you guys face.

Terry, you gave me a great idea. I never thought to use my air compressor to clean off the blower when finished. I keep it right by my pole building door that I bring the tractor in. I keep it about 10 feet from my tractor. I will definitely use it the next time. Our snow is usually fairly dry. Last night and today we had 8" of snow when the temperature was in the low teens, so the air compressor would have worked just fine.

I wouldn't enjoy snowblowing as much I do if I had an open station tractor and a rear blower.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #12  
To prevent freezing of the 2nd stage, I clean it out as best as I can and then I spray Prestone De-Icer into the drum. Have not had a problem since.

Those who are new to snow blowing will also let the box fill up before engaging the auger, resulting in early shear pin replacement. Lots of fun when the box is packed with wet snow.

Change the chute direction before passing the windows of your house. Was watching the neighbor use his walk behind unit when he launched a frozen newspaper through his dining room window once.

Always use the wind to your advantage, you will stay drier.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #13  
What is the consensus on dragging the snowblower to pack down the snow in a gravel driveway the first storm?. I have always done this but dont know how many other do..I also keep a few paths packed down in the woods for the wife to walk on. I do the same thing there just raise the snowblower a bit when i start to get hung up..

I also leave my tractor outside and dont clean off the snowblower ..I rarely need to knock any ice off to free it up..

From today's small 15 cm storm..not sure if it will work..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...979612228.8551.100000384786604&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=347582875264536

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #14  
ay66v:
Default Re: Snowblowing rules of thumb
My personal snow blowing rule: No cab, no snow blower.

I believe God created snow plows just for that reason.

I have that setup and working on making a shield in the back. It's not safe to be sitting there and waiting for the rocks to hit you.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #15  
My personal snow blowing rule: No cab, no snow blower.

I believe God created snow plows just for that reason. ;)

I will add some heat to your statement: No cab, no heater, no snow blower, :laughing:. KC :D :D :D

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #16  
Make sure the neighbors cat is in! Shot snow over the bank and low and behold a grey streak came up over the bank as it was being pelted by the blown snow. Guess the cat was hiding behind the bank from the tractor!

Could've been worse. My blower would eat a Labrador without a hiccup.

OTOH, I have buried my kids with a stream of blown snow...on purpose, of course.

JayC

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #17  
As I contemplate the possible need to get the snowblower out tomorrow, I have developed some snow blowing "rules of thumb" over the years that some of you newbies to snow blowing may want to consider. I figure that I have moved about 5,700 inches of snow with my three snow blowing rigs over the last 29 years. Snowblowing is my favorite winter activity, now that IO have a heated cab. Feel free to add to my list, I am always looking for new techniques:

Good post! Mostly old news for me, but great to put it out there.

I think I might've learned the "clean it off when your done" rule from you last year. I have yet to have a freeze-up condition, but I could see it happen.

I'd like to re-iterate the "clean up the driveway BEFORE the first snow" concept - that is the one most ignored, and probably the most important. I have a long drive and a couple of fairly large parking areas - I make sure that there is nothing that I wouldn't want sucked through my blower w/in 5 feet of the drive/parking edges.

I'd also add: Don't chop your throttle before the blower clears. If you do, it can pack up, break all your shear pins, then will turn into a 600# block of concrete filling every crevasse of your blower - which turns into a half hour with a pick before you can get going again - and that doesn't count changing the shear pins. Every shear pin I've broken so far was broken by doing this.

JayC

Attachments

• DSCN0105x.JPG
    DSCN0105x.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,665
   / Snowblowing rules of thumb #18  
I do that here to make roads for logging in the winter. Makes a nice smooth hardpack trail. I don't do it on the driveway as it needs to sit overnight to harden up. I just try to plow the first few snows to move the rocks away.

What is the consensus on dragging the snowblower to pack down the snow in a gravel driveway the first storm?. I have always done this but dont know how many other do..I also keep a few paths packed down in the woods for the wife to walk on. I do the same thing there just raise the snowblower a bit when i start to get hung up..

I also leave my tractor outside and dont clean off the snowblower ..I rarely need to knock any ice off to free it up..

Christopher West's Photos | Facebook

Feb 12, 2012 9:31am | Facebook

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb

Christopher West's Photos | Facebook

Feb 12, 2012 9:31am | Facebook

I enjoyed your movie, but you have something we don't have here - pink snow!:laughing:

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #20  
Jay- where are your tire chains?

I'd add to the list of snow-blowing rules to refill the fuel when you are finished. I like the CLEAN IT OFF part, but getting the fuel refilled will make the next trip nicer [and less chance of drawing moisture into the tank!]:thumbsup: