Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere UTV w/plow

Default Re: Snowblowing rules of thumb

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    To prevent freezing of the 2nd stage, I clean it out as best as I can and then I spray Prestone De-Icer into the drum. Have not had a problem since.
    What is Prestone De-Icer made of? Is it corrosive?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2600L

Never get off tractor without first disengaging the blower PTO. I always obey this rule but I had a brain fart and bypassed this rule last week, got off the tractor to remove one of those $%&*#^ bundled flyers thrown on a driveway and stuck in the ice, the operative word here is ice. Parked about 4 feet from the bundle got out and just started to bend over and down I went, arm missed going into auger just by shear luck, (pulled it back just in time).
    Nightime snowblowing in rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp50hn8lHf8

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti 20 HST ancient Rhino traded in

Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    What is Prestone De-Icer made of? Is it corrosive?
    It is mostly Methanol, ethylene glycol and water. Should not be corrosive. Flammable and poisonous if ingested however.

I suppose there are not many people out there who remember when we only used methanol for anti freeze in our cars and tractors.
    ck20 hst - QA KL120B FEL - KB2465 BH W/16"bucket and Thumb, Rear Snow Blower. Post hole digger, Pallet forks, 3pt log splitter.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by slowzuki View Post
    Sound good except the multiple cuts / #3 rule. Just get an HST or more hp so you can do it in one swipe!
    You must adapt the rules to your equipment. Both my tractors are above 60 hp so I don't need to do multiple cuts, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored by everyone.

With regards to stepping off the tractor with PTO engaged 90% of the time that rule is golden. But sometimes maintenance requires that the blower's moving parts be observed in motion by the operator himself, if you do your own troubleshooting. So there are safety rules to abide by in seat switch bypass situations:

1) Don't do it if you're not the one doing the maintenance, let the techie take the risk.

2) Don't do it with other people around.

3) Always do this with the blower raised, not sitting on the ground

4) Point the chute away from you (duh!)

5) Stay at least 10 feet away from the moving parts so if you trip you won't fall into the auger
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Case View Post
    It is mostly Methanol, ethylene glycol and water. Should not be corrosive. Flammable and poisonous if ingested however.

I suppose there are not many people out there who remember when we only used methanol for anti freeze in our cars and tractors.
    And always carried a blanket or two in the car for cold legs and feet. My Dad had a '34 Ford and that is what we did.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab

I use windshield washer antifreeze -35F and splash some in the fan of the blower and also around the chute where it rotates.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    NH 2005 TC40DA

IN the spring car wax the heck out of the inside of the blower- then your ready for that first snow on the fall! The wax makes the snow fly easier and farther.

Tractor
    Kubota L3430

Snowmobile helmets are a beautiful thing!
    L3430HSTC w/ LA723 loader, Woods RD7200 finish mower and Kubota L2174A front mount snowblower

Tractor
    JD 5075E

Here in New England we often get the heavy wet snow, especially in the spring when it rains and snows at the same time, or snows then warms up into a nice slush.
    1)Spraying a coat of oil, WD40, Pam or somesuch on all snow contact parts can do a really good job at keeping the chute unplugged, to some extent.
    2) Watch closely how much snow is coming out of the chute, how fast, and how far it's being blown. Watching this for changes and listening to the motor one can usually detect an oncoming plug.
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Funny, I just saw your thread and noticed the picture of your "current rig" as the same one I saw for a local snow removal company in the Ottawa area. Snow removal and landscaping services | Ottawa | Snow Removal and Property Maintenance | Kijiji Canada

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast