Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader?

/ Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader? #1  

Catfish Man

Silver Member
Does anybody have experience with either of these spreaders?

huntclub2.jpg

http://www.stoltzfusmfg.com/images/pdf%20Brochures/limespreader_webres.pdf

or

ProductFamily6438.jpg

Salt and Sand Spreaders - KUHN North America.com

My main use would be to spread sand and a little salt on my driveway during the winter.

/ Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader? #2  
Does anybody have experience with either of these spreaders?

huntclub2.jpg

http://www.stoltzfusmfg.com/images/pdf%20Brochures/limespreader_webres.pdf

or

ProductFamily6438.jpg

Salt and Sand Spreaders - KUHN North America.com

My main use would be to spread sand and a little salt on my driveway during the winter.

I have no expereince with the stolfuz or Kuhn spreaders BUT my experience comes from using the Vicon pendulum spreaders They are the simplest ones to own and take take care of as they have fiberglass hopper that will not rust out and they are a breeze to use and regulate. The inherent problem with spinner spreaders is plugging and bridging of material unless it has a huge agitator and using sand and salt cannot be done with a sizing screen without losing flow.

The drag chain spreaders need to be emptied every time to reduce the chance of the drag chain breaking(it happens) and anyone who has had to fork out and shovel out a spreader with broken drag chain will tell you the same thing.

A pendulum spreader of any size will have a very large throat opening and a large agitator arm that will break up any blockage and allow you to spread the sand and salt.

The Vicons have a salt and sand nozzle which allows you to reduce the amount of salt spread to avoid waste where the spinner itself is unregulated.

/ Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader?
I've read extensively on the Vicon spreaders here.

The vicon website does not have a locate a dealer near you feature. I have an e-mail in to them with trying to find out my closest dealer.

/ Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader? #4  
I'd love to own that Stolfus. Any idea what they sell for?

I'm trying to find out now, I have a dealer not to far from me, but I'm stuck on a drilling rig right now for a couple of weeks. I have an e-mail in to them requesting a price on the 2 ton model.

I plan to go by and put my eyes on one in person when I get off the rig.

I got a price on the stoltzfus
a 2 ton is about $11k
a 4 ton is about $14k
this includes the kit to make it spread driveway width

I was prepared to pay for a quality sander but that is beyond my budget for now.

It looks like it's down to the herd or the kuhn. Vicon has still not contacted me with a local dealer, so I guess they don't need my money.

/ Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader? #7  
The Vicon representative for Virginia is:

Cummings and Bricker inc.
100 Stover Drive
Carlisle, Pennsylania 17013

Cummings and Bricker is the representative for
Kverneland as well.

whoopsie their toll free number is 1-800-222-8969

Last edited:
No thanks on the Vicon, if they won't answer me when I'm trying to purchase the spreader, then they surely won't be available if I need parts.

/ Stoltzfus or Kuhn spreader? #9  
The Kvereland office in north carolina is the main national office hub for BOTH Kverneland and Vicon here in the states. I would call Cummings and Bricker in Carlisle Pa. as they are the Northeast regional distributor as I mentioned previously.

They do answer the phones there and having dealt with Cummings and Bricker they also answer thier phones.

Why should I have to go out of my way to beg somebody to do business with me?