Snow removal with grader blade

/ Snow removal with grader blade #1  

sierradmax

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 Bobcat 763 & 2009 S-175
This past week, we encountered taste of winter for the first time since purchasing my B2320. We got around 5-6" of snow and unfortunately, the ground wasn't frozen. My home consists of a large driveway with 3/4" crushed stone. I was concerned about snow removal and purchased a 72" grader blade from Tractor Supply. I had read online and viewed videos of tractors using them for snow removal but this week as my first time out, I made a mess of my driveway. Granted the ground wasn't frozen.

I tried keeping the blade elevated a little but my driveway isn't entirely level and the first depression sent the blade pulling stone. Are there any tips? I had used a front mounted plow on an atv previously and it worked well. Should I weld skids on the rear of the blade?

/ Snow removal with grader blade #2  
A lot of folks (including me) have used rear blades to remove snow...I'm going to guess it's pretty close to the most popular way due to it's low cost (multipurpose implement).
To minimize pulling gravel and digging in, push or pull the snow with the convex side of the blade. I don't have my blade any more (didn't use it much), but I normally pushed in reverse. If your blade will rotate 180 degrees, I suggest you drive forward (over the snow). That's easier on the lower links.

Last edited:
   / Snow removal with grader blade #3  
I live in TN so I don't have to deal with snow much but I have read where some folks have split 1 1/2~2" pvc pipe and slid it over the cutting edge of the blade. I have also read where the pvc sometimes shatters/sometimes not.

What few times that I have needed to plow snow I have used my landscape rake. It worked better than I expected.

/ Snow removal with grader blade #4  
This past week, we encountered taste of winter for the first time since purchasing my B2320. We got around 5-6" of snow and unfortunately, the ground wasn't frozen. My home consists of a large driveway with 3/4" crushed stone. I was concerned about snow removal and purchased a 72" grader blade from Tractor Supply. I had read online and viewed videos of tractors using them for snow removal but this week as my first time out, I made a mess of my driveway. Granted the ground wasn't frozen.

I tried keeping the blade elevated a little but my driveway isn't entirely level and the first depression sent the blade pulling stone. Are there any tips? I had used a front mounted plow on an atv previously and it worked well. Should I weld skids on the rear of the blade?

Adding a set on pneumatic caster wheels on the back side of the blade works well as long as you use the lock valve to hold the blade in place.

/ Snow removal with grader blade #5  
Just let the snow build up until you have about 2" of frozen snow/ice as a base. Then start to plow it to the side of your driveway. When you run the blade at an angle it will also ride smoother.

/ Snow removal with grader blade #6  
You also may try shorting the top link so it doesn't dig in as much.

/ Snow removal with grader blade #7  
Skids may help when the ground is thawed but I wouldn't weld them on permanently.........I'd make them temporarily permanent so when the ground is good and froze you can use the blade without them

I have the same trouble with my box blade off the pavement......it works great but does do damage when not frozen

/ Snow removal with grader blade #8  
I just turn my blade around and it works great that way:thumbsup:

/ Snow removal with grader blade #9  

I designed this up in 1989 when I took a welding class and I have used it ever since. Works like a champ!
Slitting the pipe was the easypart. I used a torch on a track to slit it straight. Dealing with the residual stresses in the pipe that made it twist up took some work. The welding was the easy part.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 2,477
   / Snow removal with grader blade #10  
I use a rear blade as well, and I have a gravel driveway. It's not a perfect system. We spent some time every spring sweeping gravel back on to the driveway. One thing that helps as well is to angle the blade downward, so the cutting edge doesn't want to dig into the ground. To do this, shorten the top link as much as possible. Essentially, the blade kind of floats along the ground. That works fairly well. If the blade is angled so that it wants to cut into the ground, even frozen ground will shave pretty easily.