Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT?

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #21  
Heres my snow removal tool. . . John

What a great tractor the 2810 is. Too bad manufacturers think they need to get in a hp race and then discontinue a tried and true product.

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #22  
Moving snow like you have in a timely manner takes HP. I think you would be disappointed if you moved down in size & HP.
I live in the North East (Mass) and at times we also get amounts ranging up to 30". My 1720 Ford with 23 PTO Hp and a 60 Rad rear mount snow blower was frustrating at times breaking through drifts which required me to fan the clutch to avoid stalling. In these situations I wished I had a bigger tractor or more HP so I could get it done & back inside.
I recently installed a turbo which raised the Hp significantly so that I no longer need to fan the clutch.
I spend less time freezing now.
For big snow like you have I think keeping your large tractor & loader and adding a rear mount snow blower would be the best decision.
Tim

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #23  
I am trying to decide if a SUB-CUT or small frame CUT with a FEL and 3-PH snow blower will handle the kind of worst case snow I have to deal with on occasion.

I believe the simple answer is NO. A SCUT wont be an effective tool in dealing with the snow you get.

Trying to justify it with some round about argument just leads you to hating yourself later, wishing you never sold the equipment you needed to get the job done.

Find another way to come up with the money other than selling the tractor you need.

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #24  
I call this Steinering the snow. This was a 36" snow fall we had gotten a couple years back. The Steiner 420 is a 20hp Onan based engine design. It did a good job on moving the snow. No chains needed. Full time 4wd and it doesn't tear up the turf. Never spins a wheel cause it's true 4wd too.

Steve (Pittsburgh, Pa) The Steiner is a SCUT

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMz3x67qBw]Moving snow with a Steiner - YouTube[/ame]

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #25  
I call this Steinering the snow. This was a 36" snow fall we had gotten a couple years back. The Steiner 420 is a 20hp Onan based engine design. It did a good job on moving the snow. No chains needed. Full time 4wd and it doesn't tear up the turf. Never spins a wheel cause it's true 4wd too.

Moving snow with a Steiner - YouTube
I posted before, that even a Garden tractor would work.............it would just take a while longer, and belts would need replaced. A sub-cut would also do the job(would take longer than OP's currect tractor), but would require no belt replacement.

OP hasn't posted since 3/26/12............so the outcome is unclear.

Would love to know what the OP decided though.

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #26  
stevem5215 said:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMz3x67qBw

Nice!

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #27  
Same old thing. No one piece of equipment can do all things well. It's why I bought a Steiner, despite having other large snow removal assetts. It's nice close to buildings. My disappointment being that it is really lame with the Kubota Diesel.

I have found not all snow blowers are created equal. Some simply work much better then others and require less power or don't plug up as easily. I would even go as far as saying that (I believe) MOST are simply poorly designed. I've had blowers made of twice as much stuff, but only worked half as well as much more minimalistic blowers. I remember seeing one 3PH blower at a show, and they bragged about what a high performance blower they had with videos to prove it. I studied the design for the secret, only to realize they were running the thing at a thousand RPM! No friggin wonder!

Also, a tractor with hydro is invaluable for using a blower most effectively. Most geared tractors have only one or two reverse speeds, one usually being too fast, the other too slow, requiring constant clutch operation.

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #28  
My snow clearing requirements are much more modest than most on this thread, but I find that wearing my GOOD snowmobiling clothing, I stay warm and dry without a cab. I've only put on the full face helmut with visor once when the temperature was well below 0 F.

/ Capabilities for serious snow removal with SUB-CUT or small frame CUT? #29  
I have a cc-yanmar 2400 with the SB52 blower and a Kubota F2650 with the 54" blower.
Either Tractor is capable of getting out of that garage with the snow drift in front of it or digging it out from behind. you may have to take a shovel and knock a hole for the snow to blow thru but it will cut thru with a few go in and go out motions. I clean the sidewalks at a church that has an L shape to it and have seen snow drifts in that L 12 ft tall. these lil tractors just never seem to amaze me. Until you really use one you just cannot believe what they will do!
Forgot to mention that I also do a 175 X 75 parking lot blowing it all the long way and have never needed more than 2 hrs to do it in, that one was with 14" of wet snow and drifts as high as 8 ft in places.

Last edited: