Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Default Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe.

As the title suggests....
    How feasible is it to mount an 8' skidsteer mount hydraulic snowblower on the front of a full size backhoe?

I have a JD 410b backhoe which has 2500psi at 30gpm flow. Of course, 30gpm is at the top end. I see many low flow snowblowers in the 20-22gpm range but didn't see anything about pressure.
    I know skidsteers operate at a higher pressure than I have.

Everything I've read about seem like it would work, assuming I had a skidsteer mount on my backhoe. The only thing I would worry about is tearing up the snowblower if I didn't have a float position on my FEL.

I'd love a front mount snowblower and the backhoe has a heated cab, soooo...

1) Would it work?
    2) Would it work well?
    3) Is it one of those things that are better off a cool idea rather than a realistic idea?
    4) Would I tear up the snowblower? I assume skidsteer units are pretty heavy duty since there are some darn large skidsteers out there.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe.

I would check on the rating of the hydraulics on the front outlets!

Gold Member

Default Re: Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe.

do they even make a 96" ss snowblower?
    heavy equipment/heavy truck mechanic/heavy haul trucker
    2007 Kubota L4400
    1997 Ford F-Super Duty Service truck
    2009 Quality 12k trailer, 18'+2'
    2-71 Detroit Diesel powered generator
    '52 farmall super m
    Massey Ferguson 50a backhoe
    an odd collection of wheel horses
    Nothing runs like a yanmar, right?

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Not sure, but for the sake of argument, lets say a 7'er. Idea being is there anything wrong with what I'm thinking of doing?

I imagine (but don't know for a fact) that I could run hydraulics to the FEL using larger hoses and a motor spool valve, which should give me plenty of flow.

The main issue I see is having a snowblower meant for something that is considerably smaller, on such a heavy machine. I wonder if it sounds like a better idea (to me) than it really is.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    How feasible is it to mount an 8' skidsteer mount hydraulic snowblower on the front of a full size backhoe?
    With the flow you have available, I would say you probably have a good
    match. As for pressure, the blower may have a relief valve mounted
    to the hyd motor to restrict the pressure it sees anyway. SS's often have
    3000psi or even more, but some older ones are less than 3K. A maker
    of blowers for multiple SS units would need to limit pressure, IMO. Maybe
    some are set at only 2500psi.

As for the weight of your TLB, the blower depends on hydraulic power
    and not the weight of the tractor. So unless you are running your
    TLB at high speed into frozen snow banks, I doubt being so heavy is
    a problem. I am sure your FEL has Float, even though your blower
    prob has "shoes".
    See my TBN projects at:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/resyfcgt/

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Lets see 30 GPM at 2500 psi is about 50 HP, sooo my guess is yea you bet it would. You better make sure the blower is rated at 30 GPM also. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Wink Re: Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe.

How feasible is it to mount an 8' skidsteer mount
    hydraulic snowblower on the front of a full size backhoe?

I have a JD 410b backhoe which has 2500psi at 30gpm flow.
    Of course, 30gpm is at the top end.

I see many low flow snowblowers in the 20-22gpm range
    but didn't see anything about pressure.

Everything I've read about seem like it would work, assuming I
    had a skidsteer mount on my backhoe.

The only thing I would worry about is tearing up the snowblower
    if I didn't have a float position on my FEL.

I'd love a front mount snowblower and the backhoe has a
    heated cab, soooo...

1) Would it work?
    2) Would it work well?
    3) Is it one of those things that are better off a cool idea rather than a realistic idea?
    4) Would I tear up the snowblower? I assume skidsteer units are pretty heavy duty since there are some darn large skidsteers out there.

Hello Piston,

About number 1;

you would need a third valve/accessory valve with a detent to do this.

About number two;

you need the much more oil flow to manage this as the Cessna axial piston
    hydraulic pumps are very high in efficiency and very little oil is used for the
    geroller motors that propel the chain drives for the wheels or tracks of a skid steer loader.

About number three;

It is better off as cool idea and unrealistic with your current prime mover UNLESS
    your loader is capable of lifting 4-6000 pounds in capacity wherein it can carry and lift
    a self contained loader mounted snow blower WHICH will win you a lot of adoring fans
    during and after snow storms that will bury every one and everything.

About number four;

Yes you will tear up the snow blower as the sidewall steel is not thick enough nor
    are the welds thick AND the OPEN AUGERS can and will bend.
    Open auger snow caster are very inefficient snow casters as the open augers will quite often
    jam the impeller.

The impeller and auger which is chain driven in most cases on hydraulic driven snow casters
    are driven by a gear type hydraulic motor fed from the accesory position on the control valve.

Purchasing a surplus or rebuilt motorised snow blower will be a better more
    productive option if you can afford one.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5240 Cab

this seems to be what you re looking for

http://www.erskineattachments.com/at...410-2410XL.pdf

I have a JD 410b backhoe which has 2500psi at 30gpm flow. Of course, 30gpm is at the top end. I see many low flow snowblowers in the 20-22gpm range but didn't see anything about pressure.

Everything I've read about seem like it would work, assuming I had a skidsteer mount on my backhoe. The only thing I would worry about is tearing up the snowblower if I didn't have a float position on my FEL.

I'd love a front mount snowblower and the backhoe has a heated cab, soooo...

1) Would it work?
    2) Would it work well?
    Kubota 5240HSTC, loader, grapple, dozer blade, 78" erskine blower, grader, back blade, rototiller, post hole digger,drag harrow, 3 bottom plow, rear finish mower, driveway roller, QA forks & probably other stuff i can't remember