Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe.

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
As the title suggests....
How feasible is it to mount an 8' skidsteer mount hydraulic snowblower on the front of a full size backhoe?

I have a JD 410b backhoe which has 2500psi at 30gpm flow. Of course, 30gpm is at the top end. I see many low flow snowblowers in the 20-22gpm range but didn't see anything about pressure.
I know skidsteers operate at a higher pressure than I have.

Everything I've read about seem like it would work, assuming I had a skidsteer mount on my backhoe. The only thing I would worry about is tearing up the snowblower if I didn't have a float position on my FEL.

I'd love a front mount snowblower and the backhoe has a heated cab, soooo...

1) Would it work?
2) Would it work well?
3) Is it one of those things that are better off a cool idea rather than a realistic idea?
4) Would I tear up the snowblower? I assume skidsteer units are pretty heavy duty since there are some darn large skidsteers out there.

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #2  
I would check on the rating of the hydraulics on the front outlets!

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #3  
do they even make a 96" ss snowblower?

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe.
Not sure, but for the sake of argument, lets say a 7'er. :D Idea being is there anything wrong with what I'm thinking of doing?

I imagine (but don't know for a fact) that I could run hydraulics to the FEL using larger hoses and a motor spool valve, which should give me plenty of flow.

The main issue I see is having a snowblower meant for something that is considerably smaller, on such a heavy machine. I wonder if it sounds like a better idea (to me) than it really is.

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #5  
How feasible is it to mount an 8' skidsteer mount hydraulic snowblower on the front of a full size backhoe?

With the flow you have available, I would say you probably have a good
match. As for pressure, the blower may have a relief valve mounted
to the hyd motor to restrict the pressure it sees anyway. SS's often have
3000psi or even more, but some older ones are less than 3K. A maker
of blowers for multiple SS units would need to limit pressure, IMO. Maybe
some are set at only 2500psi.

As for the weight of your TLB, the blower depends on hydraulic power
and not the weight of the tractor. So unless you are running your
TLB at high speed into frozen snow banks, I doubt being so heavy is
a problem. I am sure your FEL has Float, even though your blower
prob has "shoes".

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #6  
Lets see 30 GPM at 2500 psi is about 50 HP, sooo my guess is yea you bet it would. You better make sure the blower is rated at 30 GPM also. CJ

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #7  
How feasible is it to mount an 8' skidsteer mount
hydraulic snowblower on the front of a full size backhoe?

I have a JD 410b backhoe which has 2500psi at 30gpm flow.
Of course, 30gpm is at the top end.

I see many low flow snowblowers in the 20-22gpm range
but didn't see anything about pressure.

Everything I've read about seem like it would work, assuming I
had a skidsteer mount on my backhoe.

The only thing I would worry about is tearing up the snowblower
if I didn't have a float position on my FEL.

I'd love a front mount snowblower and the backhoe has a
heated cab, soooo...

1) Would it work?
2) Would it work well?
3) Is it one of those things that are better off a cool idea rather than a realistic idea?
4) Would I tear up the snowblower? I assume skidsteer units are pretty heavy duty since there are some darn large skidsteers out there.

Hello Piston,

About number 1;

you would need a third valve/accessory valve with a detent to do this.

About number two;

you need the much more oil flow to manage this as the Cessna axial piston
hydraulic pumps are very high in efficiency and very little oil is used for the
geroller motors that propel the chain drives for the wheels or tracks of a skid steer loader.

About number three;

It is better off as cool idea and unrealistic with your current prime mover UNLESS
your loader is capable of lifting 4-6000 pounds in capacity wherein it can carry and lift
a self contained loader mounted snow blower WHICH will win you a lot of adoring fans
during and after snow storms that will bury every one and everything.

About number four;

Yes you will tear up the snow blower as the sidewall steel is not thick enough nor
are the welds thick AND the OPEN AUGERS can and will bend.
Open auger snow caster are very inefficient snow casters as the open augers will quite often
jam the impeller.

The impeller and auger which is chain driven in most cases on hydraulic driven snow casters
are driven by a gear type hydraulic motor fed from the accesory position on the control valve.

Purchasing a surplus or rebuilt motorised snow blower will be a better more
productive option if you can afford one.

/ Feasibility of running a skidsteer front mount snowblower on a full size backhoe. #8  
this seems to be what you re looking for :)

http://www.erskineattachments.com/attachments-catalog/snowblower-1600-2010-2410-2410XL.pdf

I have a JD 410b backhoe which has 2500psi at 30gpm flow. Of course, 30gpm is at the top end. I see many low flow snowblowers in the 20-22gpm range but didn't see anything about pressure.

Everything I've read about seem like it would work, assuming I had a skidsteer mount on my backhoe. The only thing I would worry about is tearing up the snowblower if I didn't have a float position on my FEL.

I'd love a front mount snowblower and the backhoe has a heated cab, soooo...

1) Would it work?
2) Would it work well?