Snow Attachments Best chains for 5045E?

/ Best chains for 5045E?
I found a used set of good ice chains on Craigslist and picked them up for about half the cost of new. I need to lengthen them a bit as the tractor they came off of was one tire size smaller but I can get some cut offs from the local chain dealer or make them up myself. They are 3/8 chain in the skidder pattern with the double round studs on each link. I think I'll just combine two sets of pick up chains for the fronts to keep the cost down while still having some side traction while steering into a snow banks. When I get them fitted up and on the tractor I'll post a pic.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
Made up the first chain today and fitted it to the tractor. I used three cross links from my neighbors old chains to make mine long enough. Of course it is never easy. the neighbors chains are wider then those I bought. Doesn't seem to matter so far. I started by cutting one of the old chains in half then linking up the free end of the newer chains as far a possible with some repair links then splicing on the half old chain. Putting it on the tire it was soon apparent that I had gone too far and had to cut off a quarter of the original length of the old chain. Need more repair links to do the other side and I will try to pick them up tomorrow.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #23  
Re-bumping thread as I'm in same boat (sailing on a sea of ice). I "plow" with an back blade.

I don't want v-bars, so I am limiting my options. According to a table at tirechain.com (Tractor Tire Chains-Comparison-Application), a "double ring" chain is as effective on ice as a "duo-ladder" combo. The double rings being a lot cheaper.

However the double ring chains are "not recommended for plowing" according to the website. Anybody know why?

/ Best chains for 5045E? #24  
The only chains I will recommend are the euro style such as the Aquilline Talon or trygg.
These chains will ride smooth and grip better then any others I've ever used on ice or packed snow.
The only place I'd ever consider the double ring chains is in the woods and or deep snow, they ride extremely rough and bouncy.
Looking at your location CobyRupert send me a message and you can swing down and see what we use.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #25  
Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from chains with v-bars or studs. Even though I won't be plowing the paved driveway, I'll likely be driving on it or the road for a 100' feet or so every once in a while.
I've manage to not have chains for a few years now and be fine. It was this weekend that I was moving snow that I would find a sheet of ice under it, luckily not in a spot that I couldn't get out of, but I know I'm rolling the dice.

I'm not that concerned with ride as 97% of the time I'll be in snow or ice.

I looked up the Talon, I think they're studded.
Where does one buy TRYGG? I usually don't mind paying for quality, but because I "marginally" need chains, I'm looking to go cheap. I have a feeling TRYGG aren't.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #26  
There is an outfit up in Vermont, St. Johnsbury that has the TRYGG and several other lines, (802) 274-8048 he had an add on Craigs List a couple of months ago.
The Aquilline Talon are a studded chain but they seem to be easy on the paved roads, My brothers get several miles of pavement daily and we don't see any damage.
Mine have been on the road frequently at the end of my driveway and back and forth to the farm with no noticeable road damage.
Yea, this weekend produced a bunch of ice, had to spread sand Sunday and this morning.
Any chain that relies on 2 or 4 link spacing or the various duo grips give a very bouncy ride on ice or hard packed snow.
We are in the same county if you would care to see and feel how they work. I'm guessing your up above Salem.