Snow Attachments Best chains for 5045E?

/ Best chains for 5045E? #1  

vtsnowedin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045E
One of the main jobs my new 5045E will have to do is move snow on a road with 12% grades and break out roads for sugaring in the spring. A good set of chains are a must and I'm starting to shop for them now to not leave it to the last minute. I've searched through the forum and have found some interesting ideas and suppliers but not an exact match. especially on the front 9.5x24 front tires.
Dose anyone have a 50xxE chained up and or have any opinions about what chains to buy?

/ Best chains for 5045E? #2  
Yes. Just about any chains you buy will make a difference. I have chains on all four tires The rears on mine are the size of your fronts and I had no trouble getting them from Tire chains.com. They are nothing special but 4 link ladder chains that make the tractor almost unstoppable in the snow.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #3  
Are any of the roads paved? I'm also looking for chains for the winter time and I think I'm going to go with the very aggressive studded ice chains as I won't be using them on pavement.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
I am five miles from the nearest paved road so that is not a problem. Hard traveled on ice that then gets rained on is the thing I need to be able to beat. I'm thinking studded chains in some version of the H or diamond pattern.
I'll check out Tire chains.com thanks for the tip.

/ Best chains for 5045E? #6  
Regular chains grip very well on ice as well. Vlink chains are just about as effective as studded and much cheaper.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
Tirechain.com does have their V-bar duo grip that would do pretty well and fit both front and rears. About as much for four as Labonville wants for the two rears.
duo grip v bar tire chains

/ Best chains for 5045E? #8  
Tirechain.com does have their V-bar duo grip that would do pretty well and fit both front and rears. About as much for four as Labonville wants for the two rears.
duo grip v bar tire chains

VT look at the gap between links on the Duo Grips. My personal preference would be regular ladder chains with the Vlinks in either 2 or 4 link. Two link if you were only going to do the rears otherwise 4 link would do you fine if on all 4's.

/ Best chains for 5045E?
VT look at the gap between links on the Duo Grips. My personal preference would be regular ladder chains with the Vlinks in either 2 or 4 link. Two link if you were only going to do the rears otherwise 4 link would do you fine if on all 4's.
I'm not following you here. I am aware of the gaps the H pattern gives and that sliding sensation you can get when you are between the chains. This was a real problem with my last set of chains which were the Canadian ring type. Going down the road with them was like having ten sided tires and I had to re-weld up corks on the rings to get them to stick into the ice. A grade five bolt welded on and cut off at an angle, four to six per ring worked pretty well.
Regular ladder chains just drop between the lugs of R1 tires and are useless as the chain is not in contact with the ice. What you mean by two or four link is probably where I don't follow you. Just what do those look like?

/ Best chains for 5045E? #10  
Regular ladder chains just drop between the lugs of R1 tires and are useless as the chain is not in contact with the ice. What you mean by two or four link is probably where I don't follow you. Just what do those look like?

Ahh the big myth prevails. Ladder chains drop between only some lugs on the top of the tire only. They actually fall below the lugs as the tire comes around and they are the first things to hit the ground. If you are looking for smoothness, then you need 2 link meaning there is a cross chain at every second link. This is a picture of 4 link and as you can see, the chain links make first ground contact. If they were useless, then my traction would never have increased big time. As you can see my chains are on loosely with no chain keepers and yes they still stay on.

Attachments

• 2009 jd pics 001.jpg
    2009 jd pics 001.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 375