Recommendation for plow truck tires.

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires. #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
I need a suggestion for new tires for my 2005 Silverado 2500HD.

I rarely use this truck. It has the original tires on it with only 17,000 miles on the odometer. The stock tires have plenty of highway life left on them, but winter driving is terrible. I have a very steep driveway, and I have a Fisher snowplow on the truck. My usual snow removal plan is to take care of light snowfall with the truck. Up to 12" lets say during the week. I will clear the driveway as best as possible and then do clean up on the weekend with the tractor.

This is the tire I have now, and without tire chains and some weight in the back, they are like ice skates in the snow. I have slid down my driveway sideways several times.

Duravis M773II Heavy Duty Truck Tire | Bridgestone Tires

The tire I have now is LT245/75R16. I want to go up to the LT265/75R16 tires ( I will need bigger chains ).

What works good? I was looking at the Mastercraft Courser CT, or the Courser MSR ( I have a good relationship with a Mastercraft dealer ) Price matters of course. I'd like to stay around $150-200 if possible.

Thanks.

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires. #3  
How long have you lived in NY? The question is ,Do you want to plow snow or do you want to look cool? You need to go narrow for a good plow tire. Wide tires are made for mud or sand when you want the flotation effect. Get the skinniest most aggresive snow tires that will fit your rims. Look for the mountain/snowflake symbol.
When plowing snow the object is to cut through the snow and get to the road surface. Wide tires will not do that.

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires. #4  
As others have posted, you need a tall narrow tire for snowplowing . After looking at the picture of the tires you now have, I can understand why you don't get much traction. Those tire are not aggressive enough especially when they they get worn. What you need is a tire that has open lugs on the edge where the tread meets the sidewall. I"ve had good luck with Mastercraft tires in the past

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires.
I've been here all my life. I would like a bit more ground clearance than the 245/75 gives. I actually considered the 235/85, as it is slightly taller than the 265 but keeps the narrow profile.

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires. #6  
Do you use this truck for anything other than winter driving/plowing? If not, get a winter tire. I believe the MSR is a winter only tire, but I could be wrong. Winter tires usually are made of a rubber compound that is softer in the cold weather and provides better bite. As well as all the siping option for studs. If it were me, I would get them studded as well.

If the truck is for more than just winter, the courser CT's and courser MT's are both good in the snow. I have also had good luck with BFgoodrigh all-terrains. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-30537/

Pretty much just about any open-lug all-terrain/mud tire is going to be better than street tires. But when it comes right down to it, wether its courser CT's, BFG AT's, or (insert whatever brand here), I dont think you are going to notice a bit of difference as long as they are an aggressive tire.

And if you want something that is even better than your chains, try this American Track Truck Allthough I think you would have to up you budget a bit:laughing:

I use the truck very little. I only take it out of the garage when I absolutely have to. I do less than 3000 miles a year. A dedicated snow tire will be fine. A friend has almost the identical truck and it was like night & day going to bf Goodrich t/a tires even going up to 265/75's.

LD1 said:
Do you use this truck for anything other than winter driving/plowing? If not, get a winter tire. I believe the MSR is a winter only tire, but I could be wrong. Winter tires usually are made of a rubber compound that is softer in the cold weather and provides better bite. As well as all the siping option for studs. If it were me, I would get them studded as well.

If the truck is for more than just winter, the courser CT's and courser MT's are both good in the snow. I have also had good luck with BFgoodrigh all-terrains. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-30537/

Pretty much just about any open-lug all-terrain/mud tire is going to be better than street tires. But when it comes right down to it, wether its courser CT's, BFG AT's, or (insert whatever brand here), I dont think you are going to notice a bit of difference as long as they are an aggressive tire.

And if you want something that is even better than your chains, try this American Track Truck Allthough I think you would have to up you budget a bit:laughing:

Yeah, the track truck conversion isn't going to fly!

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires. #9  
You put a snow tire on and stud it, you'll be stylin'. If you just put a narrow snow tire on, you'll be happy.

/ Recommendation for plow truck tires. #10  
I'm sure you know that you can improve the plowing performance of your truck by adding weight to the back. Even just 500 pounds will make a big difference.