rear 3pt blower

/ rear 3pt blower #51  
Here is my 5ft Lorenz I bought used. The snow was drifted in pretty solid.

Attachments

• 008_1.JPG
    008_1.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 197
  • snowblower1.jpg
    snowblower1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 281
   / rear 3pt blower #52  
This is my 72"Lorenz in a heavy snow.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121209_164504.png
    ForumRunner_20121209_164504.png
    714 KB · Views: 218
  • ForumRunner_20121209_164551.png
    ForumRunner_20121209_164551.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 207
  • ForumRunner_20121209_164717.png
    ForumRunner_20121209_164717.png
    610.8 KB · Views: 248
   / rear 3pt blower #54  
What was the PTO hp that was driving the 72" Lorenz snow blower?

I assume he was using it on his TC25, around 20hp PTO. Lorenz blowers are somewhat unusual in that they were specifically developed for use on farm tractors but have become popular with small to mid-size CUT owners owing to their relatively modest PTO HP requirements and less bulky design than industrial blowers of similar capacity. Instead of a single very heavy auger Lorenz uses a stack of two much lighter shafts studded with a very unusual set of "fins" instead of a continuous screw, some models have "paddles" in the middle section. It is nonetheless a 2-stage design. The fins limit the amount of snow that can be ingested at once, which is a clever way to limit capacity to what a smaller engine can safely handle without reducing the overall dimensions. It is much lighter than an industrial blower which allows small CUTs to be fitted with a larger blower than would otherwise be possible. The downside is that the design can be overstressed when used on large CUT's and standard size utility tractors.

/ rear 3pt blower #55  
Karl, I assume you have never worked on a Lorenz blower as the shafts with the paddles are anything but light duty. I bought my Lorenz used, drained and replaced the gear case oil, then replaced the 4 auger bearings. The auger shafts are WAY HEAVY. They are designed to be able to chew through a pile of snow that has sat for a while and froze solid. Yes, I have done this, it works, with out any bending or shearing pins. The picture of me going through 3 feet of very dense drifted snow doesn't show that the snow is being thown over the garage. I looked at many different makes of blowers before buying the Lorenz and I sure wouldn't say it is light duty. The guy that sold it to me was buying another Lorenz for the front of his huge skid steer.

/ rear 3pt blower #56  
Also, the only time I sheared a pin was when the neighbor had concrete block, a big one, where they wanted me to blow. Was I scared I was going to hurt those auger shafts? NO! Another thing karl, the impeller design makes a huge difference in blower volume. One brand only has 2 inch deep impeller blades and hardly blows any air out the chute. That's how that brand limits consumed power.

/ rear 3pt blower #57  
Thanks, Karl2 for the information. My Bobcat Ct335 has 26.5 rear pto hp and I'm interested
in the Lorenz design and construction. It looks like the 72" Lorenz should work fine with my
tractor. Now, to find one somewhere in my area.

/ rear 3pt blower #59  
Karl, I assume you have never worked on a Lorenz blower as the shafts with the paddles are anything but light duty.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I was referring to the Lorenz 30 series and its descendants, which is what you guys use. I also wrote light-weight, not light-duty. Light-weight being of course a relative term. It simply means the combined weight of both augers is less than that of a single screw found in an industrial blower of similar volume, which typically requires 50hp PTO due to the resistance such a mass exerts on the engine. Lighter weight allows the Lorenz to be used on smaller tractors. The whole blower weighs about half as much as that of its industrial counterpart, but is limited to 40 HP PTO max, above that the risk of damaging parts increases. There are larger Lorenz blowers meant for bigger machinery but they are built with the same objective of providing a "lighter" alternative to operators who would otherwise have to use a much less fuel-efficient industrial blower when they don't really need one. I hope this makes more sense. The info I obtained from a Lorenz rep at a trade show last Fall.

/ rear 3pt blower #60  
Thanks, Karl2 for the information. My Bobcat Ct335 has 26.5 rear pto hp and I'm interested
in the Lorenz design and construction. It looks like the 72" Lorenz should work fine with my
tractor. Now, to find one somewhere in my area.

Harrisville and Millbury appear the be dealerships closest to you. Some driving involved I reckon.