3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
I am trying to decide between a 3 point snow blower or a front loader mounted hydraulic snowblower for my New Holland TN75DA tractor. I think the tractor has appr 16.9 gpm of available hydraulic flow. For an AG type of tractor is this flow rate too limiting? I would rather a front mounted unit and on the boom would be nice for the ability to lift the blower when necessary. Any opinions are appreciated.

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #2  
The front would save your neck but I think there are some pretty big advantages in rear mounted snowblowers: pto driven, added weight on rears, ability to drive out if stuck or off track. I have a front mount on my riding lawnmower (JD Lt155)...it throws snow like a maniac but I have almost zero ability to steer once the blower is on the ground. I am thinking your hydraulic flow would be inadequate to drive a blower based on large payloaders they mount blowers on have their own engines...why? If our hydraulic flow rate is high enough and you have adequate weight on the rears I would say you would have a serious snow blowing rig.

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #3  
I have a 3pt snow blower and have no issues operating it but it would be nice to have it on the front of the tractor.
Having it on the loader would make it much easier to operate but 17 gpm may be marginal, you can install an independent pto mounted pump to operate the blower if the flow/pressure is low.
Now you’ve got me thinking! Mount mine on the front, install a hydraulic motor on the blower and a pto pump on the rear!

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #4  
We have at least one member with the FEL mounted blower...grsthegreat. He likes his, but it's a lot of money (hydraulic package plus the blower came to a bit over $15K).
The big advantage of the 3PH blower is the ease of hooking it up. Also, of course, it can be used on any tractor with sufficient PTO HP.

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #5  
It would also be nice to have an FEL on the tractor and a blower in the back...kind of like a spork.:p

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #6  
Had a 3 pth rear mount pto for no. of years, but sold it. A lot of blow-back and sore necck always looking backwards. Everyone has different preference.

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #7  
I've thought about exactly the question you posted many times....MANY times. I've done a lot of reading and am still yet to buy a snowblower, but what I've come up with, is the pull behind PTO type seem to be the best of both worlds. You don't have to turn your neck around the entire time, you can drive forward, you still have your FEL on in case you need a bucket, you can back up close to a garage door, drop it, pull forward like a box blade, then engage to get the snow out so you don't have a problem getting close to things.
The only thing people say that may be an issue, is if you have considerably more snow on the ground than your clearance (supposedly a couple inches more is no big deal) however, with your tractor I doubt you'd have to worry about clearance too often.
Someone also mentioned it was like driving a zamboni when you look behind you and see nothing but a smooth trail behind you, no tire tracks at all :D

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #8  
You are short of hydraulic power to run one so you would need to go to an auxilary pump system which as stated could be expensive.

Rear blowers with hydraulic turn are not bad for blowing banks back that were created with the loader do work fine with minimal turn around with the head and neck.

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #9  
with regard to your snow blower plans a hydraulic power pack
operated with the rear powr take off will cost you as much or more
than your tractor.

Lots of folks use rear view mirrors and or back up
cameras when using a rear blower.

After a while you get so used using a camera a a set of
rear view mirrors it become second nature and if you sit
in the seat turned to the right slightly with your right foot
on the directional pedal it is easy as long as you have small
pillow tucked under you to support your back and buttocks.

Thr rear blower skiding along the ground will also aid in
braking as it acts like draging an anchor.

If I remember corectly I told you your tractor has midmount PTO option
THAT CAN BE ADDED later amd you could have a pronovost fronty mounted
PTO kit installed to operate a rear mounted integral attachment like a rear
mounted snow blower WITHOUT MODIFICATION.

If you already have a front end loader you will be able to use a rear mounted
snow blower with hydraulic chute rotation and hydraulic spout control.

/ 3 point blower vs. hydraulic front loader mounted blower #10  
I looked, briefly at the pto mount power pack and FEL mounted blower. Cost was high and the 64hp pto was marginal for running a 7ft blower. I have a TN75Da also and have been blowing with a rear mount for a few yrs, got a 650ft driveway, alot of drifting. we might not get the amount of snow you would, but it's a busy winter. A rear mount with a nice angle snow plow on frt works very well too. Big thing with a blower is, if it snows 6 inches or 3ft I don't go clear the driveway until it's over.