Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Gold plated snowplows in the northwest?

I've been reading snowplow building threads lately. They often start with an old truck or Jeep plow that was free or $100 or $200.

Watching Craigslist around here for snowplows for a year or so, I've never seen a price anywhere near that low. Anything under $300 is usually an old rusty garden tractor blade. I think the lowest price I ever saw on a snowplow was $800.

This is typical:

SNOW PLOW BLADE - $1000
    SNOW PLOW BLADE

-5e75kd5h53ff3l53h3c9hfc39614cbf7818cb-jpg

Where are all those cheap plows?

Bruce

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: Gold plated snowplows in the northwest?

Just found another couple!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...-snowplow.html

Post #1
    "I bought a used Meyer snowplow made for a Jeep for $100 "

Post #4
    "This post couldnt have come at a better time! I just picked up a free plow. it might have been a meyers plow just like yours."

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Varies by area of course. The cheap ones are not common even here. I needed to wait months for mine. Since then I have seen only one pop up for under $500. Most plows are complete so the hydraulics drive the price. You need to find something neglected and abandoned that has only the moldboard and frame. Not so common, IMHO. If you need it NOW, it won't appear. It will appear minutes after you buy something else... of course...
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2400 HST

The Omaha area is the same way. I looked for years. Just last week there was 7 footer for $300 which I snagged. And another 7.5 footer for $500. Prior to those two I don't think I saw anything for less that a grand. The one I bought needed a new cutting edge, a new hydraulic cylinder and new paint. That's another $200. Keep looking one will pop up.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

You should see what they cost here. In my area snowy winters are a given, visitors coming here between mid-December and mid-March are 99.9999999999% guaranteed there will be snow on the ground. In all of my 49 years I have seen only one Christmas that was not white here, it was in 1981 and everyone over 40 remembers it.

All this means it's never a gamble in these parts to purchase snow removal equipment, it will be used every year. Lots of guys (and a few gals) derive a serious portion of their income removing snow: road contruction equipment owners, farmers, truckers (in towns and cities snow removed from commercial areas is hauled away) and guys like me who own and operate machinery because we like it.

Most commercial-grade new plows sold here come from Canada and cost an arm and a leg so demand for used units is very strong. Problem is, plows last forever so when you have one you tend to hold on to it and when you upgrade it its the dealership that gets the old one and he'll sell it at dealership rates, which keep the market inflated. It is not unusual to drive hundreds of miles just to get your hands on a reasonably priced plow.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Where are all those cheap plows?
    Probably best to look for the cheap deals during the warm weather months.

Foster Center, RI

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 2001 Ford F450 w/Telsta A28D aerial lift • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed • 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser • 2007 Mustang GT • 2007 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

All there is on CL here now is $2700 for an old DOT plow from a dump truck, and a fully manual 46" plow from a riding mower for $200.

Things were no better for the last 2 summers, either.

Bruce