Gold plated snowplows in the northwest?

/ Gold plated snowplows in the northwest? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
I've been reading snowplow building threads lately. They often start with an old truck or Jeep plow that was free or $100 or $200.

Watching Craigslist around here for snowplows for a year or so, I've never seen a price anywhere near that low. Anything under $300 is usually an old rusty garden tractor blade. I think the lowest price I ever saw on a snowplow was $800.

This is typical:

SNOW PLOW BLADE - $1000
SNOW PLOW BLADE

5E75Kd5H53Ff3L53H3c9hfc39614cbf7818cb.jpg

Where are all those cheap plows? :(

Bruce

/ Gold plated snowplows in the northwest?
   / Gold plated snowplows in the northwest? #3  
Varies by area of course. The cheap ones are not common even here. I needed to wait months for mine. Since then I have seen only one pop up for under $500. Most plows are complete so the hydraulics drive the price. You need to find something neglected and abandoned that has only the moldboard and frame. Not so common, IMHO. If you need it NOW, it won't appear. It will appear minutes after you buy something else... of course...

/ Gold plated snowplows in the northwest? #4  
The Omaha area is the same way. I looked for years. Just last week there was 7 footer for $300 which I snagged. And another 7.5 footer for $500. Prior to those two I don't think I saw anything for less that a grand. The one I bought needed a new cutting edge, a new hydraulic cylinder and new paint. That's another $200. Keep looking one will pop up.

/ Gold plated snowplows in the northwest? #5  
You should see what they cost here. In my area snowy winters are a given, visitors coming here between mid-December and mid-March are 99.9999999999% guaranteed there will be snow on the ground. In all of my 49 years I have seen only one Christmas that was not white here, it was in 1981 and everyone over 40 remembers it.

All this means it's never a gamble in these parts to purchase snow removal equipment, it will be used every year. Lots of guys (and a few gals) derive a serious portion of their income removing snow: road contruction equipment owners, farmers, truckers (in towns and cities snow removed from commercial areas is hauled away) and guys like me who own and operate machinery because we like it.

Most commercial-grade new plows sold here come from Canada and cost an arm and a leg so demand for used units is very strong. Problem is, plows last forever so when you have one you tend to hold on to it and when you upgrade it its the dealership that gets the old one and he'll sell it at dealership rates, which keep the market inflated. It is not unusual to drive hundreds of miles just to get your hands on a reasonably priced plow.

/ Gold plated snowplows in the northwest? #6  
Where are all those cheap plows?

Probably best to look for the cheap deals during the warm weather months.

/ Gold plated snowplows in the northwest? #7  
   / Gold plated snowplows in the northwest?
All there is on CL here now is $2700 for an old DOT plow from a dump truck, and a fully manual 46" plow from a riding mower for $200.

Things were no better for the last 2 summers, either.

Bruce