Remove snow drifts - blower or plow?

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #1  

PandDLong

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, JD Z445 Mower, JD LX188 Lawn Tractor
In my area, we get dry snow in quantities that are usually handled pretty well with my rear blade. The challenge is that the wind will blow and can leave me drifts that are 3-4 feet deep and 10-15 wide. On top of that the wind packs the snow in fairly solid - not icy just packed dry snow. In the past I've had to chip away at the drift with my FEL and blade which only works so-so and takes a long time - but I'm going to upgrade my tractor (30-35 net hp) and figure now is a good time to get the right equipment for the job.

I'm considering a rear-mount blower or a frame attached snow blade.

What do you recommend for clearing big snow drifts? What are the tips from the experienced pros?

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #2  
If your back blade works to clear the snow then don't waste your money.

A FEL is ideal for clearing drifts. A bigger bucket on that bigger tractor and you are golden.

Sent from my MB525 using TractorByNet

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #3  
If you got the room, i got out in the field beside my driveway and make snow fence. Only go out 3 or 4 times a winter and re-open the lanes. Helps for in between storms when it's windy. I have a rear mount blower and like it. But eventually will have a snow plow on the FEL. Than I can plow down and back on small storms, wind row snow into middle of driveway, than make one pass with the blower.

The frame attached snowblade is a nice option too. i think you'll be impressed with how a 35hp tractor can push the snow.

BTW- i have a 650ft driveway located on a hill with fields. We avg 8 to 10ft of snowfall in a season.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #4  
A snow plow is a great way to remove drifts if you have any drop off to the side of the driveway or can push to the down wind side so that you are not create large piles that will catch even more snow. Loader mounted plow is great for making huge piles.

Ken

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #5  
A 3-4' tall drift for 10-15' will be a lot of loader work for 35hp tractor. Consider an FEL and a blower on the back. The advantage of the blower is not creating piles of snow, that would in turn make bigger drifts. As a benefit, the blower makes a great counterweight for FEL work when you get in situations where you can't safety blow the snow.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #6  
It is surprisingly difficult to get a blower to cut into hard drifted snow. if you get wind like we do, you'll find that not just the blower, but the entire rear end of the tractor will ride up over a hard drift. One solution is to break it up a bit with your loader, turn around, and back into the broken-up chunks with the blower. From what you described of your situation, I'd rather have a loader and blower than a plow. Even if you always plow toward your lee side, plowing creates a bit of a berm on the windward side which worsens your drifting problem. You can usually avoid that with a blower.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #7  
It is surprisingly difficult to get a blower to cut into hard drifted snow. if you get wind like we do, you'll find that not just the blower, but the entire rear end of the tractor will ride up over a hard drift. One solution is to break it up a bit with your loader, turn around, and back into the broken-up chunks with the blower. From what you described of your situation, I'd rather have a loader and blower than a plow. Even if you always plow toward your lee side, plowing creates a bit of a berm on the windward side which worsens your drifting problem. You can usually avoid that with a blower.

That makes sense to me. I am surprised by the amount of traction needed to push a rear blower into snow that is only mildly wind-packed and dry by Alberta standards. When cutting through a 3'-4' foot drift, there will always be a trench waiting to drift full again with wind or wind+new snow, unless your driveway runs with the prevailing winds rather than across them. That won't change whether you plow, bucket or blow. All methods will be helped by pushing back snow on the upwind side so the drift that will rebuild takes a while to get to the driveway. Sometimes I think when the upwind pile is high enough, it provides enough lift for the blowing snow to go completely over the driveway instead of building up on it. Every storm is a little different here.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #8  
With your conditions:rear blower and light materials bucket for the front.Light materials bucket will have more volume than a standard bucket.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #9  
With your conditions:rear blower and light materials bucket for the front.Light materials bucket will have more volume than a standard bucket.

I agree. My bucket is huge for my tractor and works great for back dragging snow away from buildings, as well as piling up or breaking up hard snow drifts. Between that, the rear mounted blower, and a set of chains, I feel pretty invincible! ...and this is with a little 22 HP tractor.

Joe

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #10  
We drift very heavy around here. Plowing just makes for more and bigger drifts off the plow banks. I use a blower. Sometime I even throw the snow straight up and let the wind take it away.
Like FatTire described, sometimes the loader has to be used to create an edge for the blower to bite into.