Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator?

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #21  
CDN Farm Boy said:
I don't understand the "packing the snow before you blow it" issue. How many people run a RFM or MMM? The grass still gets cut. I've yet to see anyone rig up a FMM on their CUT.

Was that just a joke, or do you seriously not see the difference?

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator?
Well, my dealer had a hydraulic rotator in some older stock so it only cost a couple hundred $ and, based on the comments here, I went for it.

I've been using my rear blade for a few years and have often had to use it in reverse so I'm pretty comfortable with driving looking backwards -must have a flexible neck! But, the ideas of a backup camera are pretty intriguing - I will look into that.

A front blower sounds great and I'm sure would be even easier to use but it was going to be 2.5 times more $$ than the rear blower. Since I have been surviving with a blade, it was a challenge to justify a blower of any type and just too far of a stretch to justify the $$ of a front-mount. I''m sure my rear-mount will speed-up my snow removal, make easier work of drifts and clearing my parking area - not to mention the fun of making snow fly.

Keeping me "somewhat" dry will be my next challenge to solve - thanks for the ideas.

Let it snow!

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #23  
Wow, 800 feet of looking behind you. I give you credit. I wouldn't even consider it for my 100 foot drive. I think I would rather a front blower with no cab, over a rear blower with a cab. Having to twist around, to me, takes all the fun out of it. Just my opinion.

Something about tripling the investment for a front mount changed my mind. For the same money, it would be a no-brainer. But the increased cost of a front mount blower is a big nut for somebody actually considering the purchase.
Bcak to the OP's quuestion, if there is a remote valve in place to control the hydraulic chute, that, too is a no-brainer; get it.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #24  
Something about tripling the investment for a front mount changed my mind. For the same money, it would be a no-brainer. But the increased cost of a front mount blower is a big nut for somebody actually considering the purchase.
Bcak to the OP's quuestion, if there is a remote valve in place to control the hydraulic chute, that, too is a no-brainer; get it.

I have to say, as much as I enjoy using a front mount blower over a rear mount, I too would have to re think it at 3 times the cost. For that big of a difference, I think I could deal with a little neck pain.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #25  

Nope, not a joke and I've not experienced any difference.

600 + hrs in the last 3 yrs with a pull type and it ALWAYS scraped clean to the pavement. On the gravel drives, I had a hard time getting enough snow pack to stay down not to dig in to the gravel. The blower was adjusted level. I wanted a hydraulic top link last year but the guy I was working for was too cheap to buy one, he would rather send a crew out to rake the lawns instead.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #26  

Y'a, I'm sorry, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about either. A light weight rear scraper blade has always scrapped my driveway clean after I've driven over it first, I can only imagine that an extra 1000 + # will not change that. Driving over the snow first will have no impact IMHO.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #27  
Nope, not a joke and I've not experienced any difference.

600 + hrs in the last 3 yrs with a pull type and it ALWAYS scraped clean to the pavement. On the gravel drives, I had a hard time getting enough snow pack to stay down not to dig in to the gravel. The blower was adjusted level. I wanted a hydraulic top link last year but the guy I was working for was too cheap to buy one, he would rather send a crew out to rake the lawns instead.

I believe you when you say the rear pull type blower will pick up the packed snow. The question was in reference to your comparison of snow blowing and mowing the lawn.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #28  
Drive over the snow, packing it down and it still gets blown.
Drive over the grass, packing it down and it still gets cut.

People complain/swear a front mount blower is the only way to go yet no one has a front mount mower for a CUT. Maybe it's just me but I see it as a pretty similar comparison.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #29  
Drive over the snow, packing it down and it still gets blown.
Drive over the grass, packing it down and it still gets cut.

People complain/swear a front mount blower is the only way to go yet no one has a front mount mower for a CUT. Maybe it's just me but I see it as a pretty similar comparison.

The vast majority of RM finish mowers operate in a forward direction.
The vast majority of RM snowblowers operate in a rearward direction.
I see that as quite dissimilar, having both myself.

All snow is not created equal.
Wet, heavy snow will pack nearly to ice when run over the first time.
Dry fluffy snow will clean well after traffic.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #30  
The vast majority of RM finish mowers operate in a forward direction.
The vast majority of RM snowblowers operate in a rearward direction.
I see that as quite dissimilar, having both myself.

All snow is not created equal.
Wet, heavy snow will pack nearly to ice when run over the first time.
Dry fluffy snow will clean well after traffic.

I think his point was more that either will work. CDN Farm Boy and I are both in Ottawa, Canada, a city that gets it's fair share of snow of all types and more of it than most places. Again, I've never had an issue with packed snow, especially with a tractor. Cars pack snow harder than tractors because the weight is more concentrated on the small tires and I've never had a problem scrapping that stuff off either unless I let it build up by not removing small snowfalls.