Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator?

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #41  
Put a piece of Plexiglas on your ROP and you will not regret it. It makes a BIG difference in stopping blowing snow and four U-bolts will attach it easy. I used my tractor for two winters without the Plexiglas, and after I had the brain wave I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I have a cab now, which is better than the Plexiglas, but if was to ever go back to open station that would be one of the first things I would do.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #42  
Put a piece of Plexiglas on your ROP and you will not regret it. It makes a BIG difference in stopping blowing snow and four U-bolts will attach it easy. I used my tractor for two winters without the Plexiglas, and after I had the brain wave I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I have a cab now, which is better than the Plexiglas, but if was to ever go back to open station that would be one of the first things I would do.

That's a good idea.... but I have a manual chute crank on my 3PH blower and I don't know how I would reach the crank with the Plexiglass barrier.

Hmmm... maybe I could cut an arm hole in it. ?

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #43  
That's a good idea.... but I have a manual chute crank on my 3PH blower and I don't know how I would reach the crank with the Plexiglass barrier.

Hmmm... maybe I could cut an arm hole in it. ?

I don't know how they bend Plexiglas but suspect it is heated. A propane torch might work to shape the Plexiglas so you could reach the crank. It would be worth figuring out something to make it work for you. It isn't a cab but it comes close!

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #44  
I just added plexiglass on my Deere 2520 for blowing. I tried it out today and it was a world of difference. My legs and the tractor hood were still white, but I didn't have any snow on my upper body and it was easy to see when the snow was blowing across me. I stopped the plexiglass at the top of the seat and I can still easily reach the chute rotate underneath it!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Attachments

• image-2670525842.jpg
    image-2670525842.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 259
   / Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #45  
I just added plexiglass on my Deere 2520. What a difference it makes in blowing snow. I stopped it at the top of the seat and that allows me to reach my stem under and rotate the chute. I do want to upgrade to hydraulic rotation, but honestly have no need for it. My money would be better spent on a rear view cam.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #46  
I just added plexiglass on my Deere 2520 for blowing. I tried it out today and it was a world of difference. My legs and the tractor hood were still white, but I didn't have any snow on my upper body and it was easy to see when the snow was blowing across me. I stopped the plexiglass at the top of the seat and I can still easily reach the chute rotate underneath it!

Great idea.. !!! But I would turn those U-bolts around facing away from the operator. You hit the right bump and you might drive one of them into your skull...

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #47  
I don't know how they bend Plexiglas but suspect it is heated. A propane torch might work to shape the Plexiglas so you could reach the crank. It would be worth figuring out something to make it work for you. It isn't a cab but it comes close!

The heating would need to be evenly distributed!
I once formed an airplane windshield by heating the plexiglass in a pizza oven using the old damaged/crazed one as a male mold.
Worked so well that the DOT (FAA) inspector accepted my repair.
A lot of aircraft home builders form bubble canopies using vacuum boxes and curved ribs to limit the bubble shape. They blow very hot air into the non vacuum side while drawing the plexi towards the rib shapes and stop when they have the dome shape they want.

TIP;
To get a nice finish on plexiglass cut edges simply fan the edges with a plumbers torch and you'll have a slick factory looking edge.

For a simple 90 deg bend, lay 2 strips of metal parallel to each other maybe 1.5 ins apart and evenly heat that space between the strips 'til the plexi gets floppy like and then bend to the angle that you want.
If you simply want a narrow flange (like 2-3") best to clamp the flange between a couple of wood slats B4 heating/bending and you will get a nice even flange. To get a 'fast set' at your desired angle you can simply use an air hose and blow cool air along the bend line, otherwise just hold the bend with a steady hand for a few mins.

With plexi (and lexan) a;ways drill fastener holes oversize as temperature shifts affect plastics differently than the metals they are fastened to if not you will have splits/cracks at the holes.

Last edited:
   / Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #48  
KevinWak may be one to something.

If I take the Plexiglass down to just the top of the seat, it should offer me some protection form the blowing snow and stil allow me to squeeze and arm back far enough to turn the crank for the chute.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #49  
KevinWak may be one to something.

If I take the Plexiglass down to just the top of the seat, it should offer me some protection form the blowing snow and stil allow me to squeeze and arm back far enough to turn the crank for the chute.

I could see a plexiglass shield on the back of the roll bar with perhaps 10 inch 'wings' bent forwards at perhaps a 45 deg angle as being a great snow shield.
You could have an opening thru the shield for a manual chute crank to fit thru as well.
I'd clamp the shield to the ROPS using 4 suitable sized U bolts available from most hardware stores.

/ Rear Snow Blower - Hydraulic or Manual Rotator? #50  
PILOON said:
I could see a plexiglass shield on the back of the roll bar with perhaps 10 inch 'wings' bent forwards at perhaps a 45 deg angle as being a great snow shield.
You could have an opening thru the shield for a manual chute crank to fit thru as well.
I'd clamp the shield to the ROPS using 4 suitable sized U bolts available from most hardware stores.

Man I wish I would have thought of wings when I did this. Now I want to buy a new sheet of plexiglass and try again. After using the blower yesterday I think the plexi wings would double the effectiveness of an already very effective tractor addition.