Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter

/ Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter #21  
Thanks very much!! I may just order this thing.

/ Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another QA plate from there.

Forgot to add, here's some more pics. I'll try to add some video of it in action later this weekend.

1) A 9 pin molex connector is used to connect the controller. The unused brown wire will be used for the plow lights The black wire with white tape goes to the pump solenoid. The other loose black wire are +/-. The sheathed wires go to the 13-pin plug to the plow. The yellow/black spliced wire is the pump solenoid control from the smart-hitch switch on the plow.
2) Control Stick in Float Mode. You can also mount/dismount the plow using the smart-hitch switch when the controller is in float mode.
3) Placing the solenoid on top of the battery seemed like an out-of-the-way spot.
4) Splicing control wires to the 13 pin plug
5-7) After a coat of Majic brand tractor & implement paint.

Attachments

• molex_connector.jpg
    molex_connector.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 228
  • plow_controller.jpg
    plow_controller.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 240
  • solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 414
  • plug_wires.jpg
    plug_wires.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 301
  • mount_rear.jpg
    mount_rear.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 244
  • mount_angle.jpg
    mount_angle.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 337
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 276
I played around with plow this weekend, works great! The 4 cyl tractor definitely has more pushing power then my old v8 GMC half ton.

Note, with this setup you can adjust the downward angle with both the loader and the plow hydraulics. Finding the right balance can be tricky, too much downward angle and the plow will trip. I found lowering the loaders arms so they're about the height off the ground as a truck frame works well. I'm looking forward to trying it out on the next snow storm. :)

Here's a quick video clip of the adapter, for the non-boss users out there I demonstrated how the plow mounts to the push beam. Enjoy, please let me know if there are any questions.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You can leave the adapter on the plow and attach/detach it to the tractor like any other QA attachment.

/ Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter #25  
Katahdin, things have really worked out well. Glad to see it all worksl. From the video it looks like you could stack snow as high as your barn. Just an idea to help kill your frustration of digging in and tripping the plow is add a 3rd or 4th shoe back at the rear plow frame. Then just put the FEL in float and it slides on the shoes. See 4shorts idea on this. Seems to work really well.

Chris
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/256183-arctic-poly-skin.html

Thanks Chris, interesting idea, resting on those rear shoes would definitely keep the blade at a consistent angle that its designed for.

That said, I not terribly concerned yet with the plow tripping I experienced in my early trials. I was pushing around heavy week-old snow piles that had settled, and of course now with my plow mount finished there is no new snow in the forecast...I'm itching to give it a proper fresh snow test! :)

In any event I'm going to go ahead and tweak a few things. I've ordered a shock absorber kit to help with the blade springing forward and back. Of course, Boss tells me this is now a standard feature on this plow. Once the kit is installed I'll tighten up the trip springs to spec and see how it fairs for the next storm. It also looks like I can add a fourth spring easily to put more tension on the blade before it'll trip. The plow blade already has a place to hook in a fourth spring, it appears I'd just need to weld a tab for the other end of the spring onto the A-frame.

Well, we finally got that big test I was waiting for. 32 inches of fallen snow and waist high snow drifts! I plowed once when about 7 inches had fallen and then there was about 2 feet to move the next morning. I also have some cleanup to do this morning due to drifting.

Everything worked absolutely great! I really think I would've had trouble if I had tried to use the truck instead of the tractor. Being able to lift the blade and pile the snow high was a key feature for dealing with this storm. Also, I had no problem with the blade tripping. I think part of that was because I was pushing a much taller load against the full height of blade, rather than just a small 6 inch or so load at the bottom edge of the blade.

Here's some pics!

IMG_1568.jpgIMG_1567.jpgIMG_1566.jpgIMG_1565.jpgIMG_1564.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_1562.jpgIMG_1561.jpg

/ Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter #28  
Awesome! Glad it worked out so well.

Chris

/ Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter #29  
The place you got the QA plate is an advertiser here as well.

/ Boss Plow Quick-Attach Adapter #30  
Katahdin- Nice. You won't get a better test than that! It's always great when things work the way we think they will. "Kaiser" is cool.